Ou's NTFS Permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ou's NTFS Permissions

For example I have an OU called Test and 5 users in it called user1, user2,user3,user4 and user5. now i have a shared folder and i want all users 1-5 to have full control in Permissions and Security. what i do is add all of them 1 by one to the permission and security. My question is, Is there a way that i can add all of the user by just adding the OU which is the Test OU so that i wont do it one by one? Thanks..
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: Ou's NTFS Permissions

For NTFS permissions you need to use security groups, which are totally different from OUs. Basically you can't add an OU to security permissions.

Ideally you should use AGULP to properly link the groups and permissions, but lets keep it simple now:

In ADUC, create a new Security Group. If you have only one domain, make it Domain Local in scope. Call it something meaningful like "FolderUsers"

Still in ADUC, add the 5 users to the group (either using the members tab in the group or the member of tab for each user).

Go to the security tab of the folder you have shared. Click on Security. Add the group you created above. Make sure share permissions are better that the default (in Win2K3) "Everyone Read"

That should sort you out. If you have new users, just add them to the group and they will automatically get into the folder. If you don't want someone to get in, just take them out of the group.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the help sir, Ill try your suggestion..
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

Thanks fot the help sir your suggestion really worked and was very effective..
        Ronuel
        MCP

Comment

Good! Glad I was able to help!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X