Win2000 PRO Clients 15 mins at applying computer settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2000 PRO Clients 15 mins at applying computer settings

We are having an issue where our Win2000 Pro clients are taking 10-15mins to apply computer settings. Nothing in our environment has changed yet the problem is getting worse and worse. XP machines are unharmed.

I am led to believe there is an issue with either the way the machines are pulling down GPO from AD or there is a DNS issue.

However I ran a dc diag on all dc's everything came up clean, the DNS event logs look good as well.

Have any of you experienced this issue?

Random though could this be windows update related?

Mods please move to proper section if necessary.

Re: Win2000 PRO Clients 15 mins at applying computer settings

what about netdiag and userenv logs?
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Is this when the computer is starting up or after a user has entered his login credentials? If the later, does it happen with all users accounts?

Have you tried running RSPO to ensure the GPO's have actually applied?

Anything in the eventlogs on the client machines i.e. timeout errors or anything?

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes it can be Windows Update-related. I remember having the same problem with my Windows 2000 clients. Disable windows update in the control panel, restart and see if it's quicker.

Make sure you have the latest version of the update software, try changing to "microsof tupdate".
        A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Originally posted by wiredteknologies View Post
          what about netdiag and userenv logs?
          logs look good there are no errors.

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            Is this when the computer is starting up or after a user has entered his login credentials? If the later, does it happen with all users accounts?

Have you tried running RSPO to ensure the GPO's have actually applied?

Anything in the eventlogs on the client machines i.e. timeout errors or anything?

Michael
            This is happening at start up, apply computer settings applies first, then the network settings are applied and the log on screen is loaded. It takes that long just to get to logon

The GPO's are applied to those machines I checked all of the known problematic ones.

Only thing I see common in the Win2000 clients that are not found on the Win XP clients are windows update errors.

Yesterday I created a container called Theory and blocked inheritance on it. I moved two of the machines known to have this issue into this container. Waited about 20 mins and reboot both of them and they booted right up. I have sinced moved them back into a container called Success that was accepting the GPO's and have not had a chance to reboot to see if the problem comes back.

My suspicion is that the SUS portion of the default domain policy is causing this issue, so if these machines reboot and take forever to get to the login I will know it is a GPO and then turn of SUS to check.

Comment

Working...
            X