Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADPREP issue with two Win 2003 servers

Hey gang,

I have a Windows 2003 standard server (sp1) that is hosting our OPS domain. We are in the process of adding two other Windows 2003 enterprise server DCs to it.

The one that another tech added in London (server 1) went lickedy-split. No problems!

The one I'm responsible for (server 2) threw the attached error. Now I've seen in these forums about running adprep.exe /forestprep command from the Windows Server 2003 R2 installation disk 2 on the schema master. However, we're a little hesitant to do this since server 1 became a DC no problem, and only server 2 is having an issue.

Hoping someone can point me to some specific things to check and see what server 2 isn't playing nicely and becoming a DC like it should.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Files

Re: ADPREP issue with two Win 2003 servers

what are you trying to accomplish?

are you trying to add a new domain to the forest or are you trying to add another DC to an existing domain?
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Hey there,

I'm trying to add a DC to an existing domain. I think I may have found my answer though...I just learned that prior to bringing these new DCs on board, the OPS domain *did* have a Windows 2000 DC in the environment, so when the other tech installed his new 2003 server DC in the mix, he didn't get yelled at about ADPREP. After his 2003 server DC was installed, he demoted the 2000 DC.

Then I come along and try to install my 2003 box and get yelled at about ADPREP...which I think would make SENSE now, without the 2000 DC in the environment, right?

Brian

Comment

Yes........

If you are going to have a newer version of O/S for a new DC then you first need to prepare your schema first.

Now whatever o/s you are going to have on your new DC you need to run adprep /forestprep from the same CD.

e.g. if you have got 2003 on new box then run it from 2003 CD....

and if you have R2 on your box just run the command from second CD of the R2 s/w.

Just to add you can check the version of O/S by running the command "Winver".

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Hey,

Gotcha - right on. We did the adprep and the new DC joined up like a rock star. Have a great weekend, and thanks to all for the help.

Brian

Comment

We are doing the same thing, but I have a question; should this be done during a maintenance window, or can I go ahead and run it during the day with users logged on?

I just want to make sure that I don't prevent anyone from working.

Thanks for your help in advance!

sax

Comment

First, make sure you have system state backup, if something goes wrong
              Then on schema master do adprep /forestprep
              After it do adprep /domainprep /gpprep on infrastructure master
              Then you can promote your new server with AD role

I did it few times in working hour and didn't experienced any problems at all

Comment

Thanks alien_ri! I'll give it a shot and post with results.

Comment

Working...
                X