Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD - Design question

Greetings,
    My network initially grew organically. As it is now, each users profile is on their local PC, and this has worked as users have their own PC's. But I have run into problems with this approach. The first problem is when a user leaves and a new one comes onboard needing the exact desktop, files, etc that the departing user had. The second come with Domain (AD ) changes upgrades, etc.

What is the best approach to user profiles given the above information ?

thanks for any advice.

-Darryl

Re: AD - Design question

To deal with your problem, simply rename the user account (and change email addresses). The user will pick up the profiles etc. from the old user because these are linked to the SID, not the name.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not to be thick,
      but If I change the name on the AD Server (users and groups), when they log into the client PC, they will get the exact desktop , files, etc of the old user ?

I'm going to try that out.

thanks,
      Darryl

Comment

Yes -- dont try changing the name of user directories, profile directories etc, just right click the user in ADUC and rename -- it will appear to only change the name in the display window, but will then take you to a property page
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X