Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I completely get off of AD and a Domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I completely get off of AD and a Domain?

I am sorry if this is a double post, I did search and couldn't find anything that was relevant to my situation. If anybody could give me a link to a step by step guide or write me one I would be very grateful. Below is my issue.

That network admin before me created a domain called Harley (i know, it needs to be something like harley.local and not just harley). He started out with 2 domain controllers until the primary failed at which time he didn't go through the steps of removing it before it tombstoned. He then promoted a different server to backup the new primary DC. What I would like to do is completely get rid of the Harley domain without causing to much of an explosion and re-create it as harley.local. Do any of you have a step by step guide that would show me how to do this? Would I be able to back any files up from the DC's on the Harley domain and restore them on the new Harley.local domain or would they clash due to the Harley vs. Harley.local?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Re: How do I completely get off of AD and a Domain?

You can DCPROMO all the DCs to remove them from the domain. The last one will need the "this is the last domain controller..." option ticked.

But stop and think about it before you do anything
    You will need to:
    decrypt ALL encrypted files before killing the old domain
    recreate user accounts
    rejoin PC to the domain
    recreate security groups
    reset permissions

the list goes on and on.

Don't do anything rash!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That's just the thing. I am a Cisco Engineer and have never done anything pertaining to AD or Windows. I was thinking I could just unjoin every PC and server from the domain then bring up a new domain controller that is part of the harley.local (the new domain) and join all the PC to that DC after I had turned off of the old Harley DC's. What would this effect?

Comment

Well if you have 5 PCs in one office with nothing extra like Exchange you can just rebuilt the domain in a few hours but you will have to do what Ossian said.

If its a large network you need to look into Domain renaming which has lots of requirements and steps but may be your only choice.

Comment

We have around 50 servers/PC's that are joined to the Harley domain. I printed out the write up on removed a tombstoned DC and I will check out the write up on renaming a domain.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

If renaming the domain means running "Rendom.exe" to rename it then I would like to say migration would be better then renaming it.

If rename simply means what you discussed in previous posts that's just fine.

Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
            X