Domain Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller

How can I check if one particular server is a Domain Contorller. I think the person before me did a demotion but I am not sure. It's a 2000 server in 2003 enviroment.
    Thanks

Re: Domain Controller

Open Active Directory Users and Computers
    Look in the Domain Controllers OU
    See if the computer name appears!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You could run "dcdiag /n:domain_name /a /v" from a command prompt to get all the info you want about your domain including the DC's.

Comment

hey maxim42

Please check the Default shares in c:\windows\system32. Sysvol and Netlogon folders

If these folders are shared automatically, that means the particular server is a domain controller.

Also you can check it with dcdiag command as mentioned by joeqwerty

Rajiesh George
        HSEIJAR

Comment

CTRL+ALT+DEL,
          if you don't see servername in a pull-down box DOMAIN it is Domain controller
          With best regards, Victor

Comment

very simple:
            open a cmd and type"

"set logonserver"
            if it points to itself then it is a DC.

Hope I was help

Zohar Kimhi.

Comment

But if any how netlogon service is not running on it then it might go to some other DC also..........So I do not think it's a good option.

Regards,
              Kapil Sharma
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
                But if any how netlogon service is not running on it then it might go to some other DC also..........So I do not think it's a good option.

Regards,
                I don't think it is possible to log into a DC with no netlogon service running... in fact I'm not sure that a DC whose netlogon service is not running would continue to function at all...

These are only guesses - but the netlogon service is fundamental to the operation of a domain controller.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                X