Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tombstoned Domain Controller

Hi all,
    I have a situation. We have a domain controller at one of our remote locations, that apparently lost connectivity to the parent domain over 60 days ago, so the records for that server were tombstoned. That really is no big deal, because we have changed directions, and now no longer want to use the child domain that we setup. I have removed all references to this tombstoned domain controller from the Active Directory following the information found here (http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm) so now the other domain controllers no longer see this system as part of the domain.

But, i am logged on to this computer, and I am unable to change it's domain membership or anything of the sort.

Does anyone know how i can manually remove AD information from the computer itself and make it so it doesnt think it is a domain controller any more and i can use this machine again. It is at a remote co-lo facility where it is very pricey to get remote hands assistance to try and rebuild it.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

app

Re: Tombstoned Domain Controller

You probably just need to run DCPROMO on it to demote it, although I don't know if this will work with a tombstoned DC but try it.

Comment

it doesnt work. Part of the process of running DCPromo includes ensuring that any changes made to on the DC that is being demoted are offloaded to another DC in the organization. And when i run that, it is failing. I am going to keep at it, and i will let you guys know if i figure something out.

app

Comment

I found it!! from a command prompt run dcpromo /forceremoval

that, combined with the data in the link provided above have made the DC data disappear!!

app

Comment

That brings up a good point about making sure that the old DC did not hold any FSMO roles. If it did, you will have to sieze those roles to another DC.

Comment

Your AD is still dirty b/c lingering Objects are still there b/c your dc was off line past it's tombstone life time.

you must Remove lingering Objects from your AD.

Comment

Working...
            X