Help me restore Active directory on different hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me restore Active directory on different hardware

I'm trying to Restore our 2003 Active Directory live environment onto a Test server in a closed off network environment but am struggling with the restore. Here are the steps i've tried so far.

1. Backup Live DC's System State using NTBackup
    2. Installed fresh copy of Windows2003 onto test server (Not the same spec as the live DC)
    3. Service packed test server to same level as Live DC
    4. Restored System State from Live DC onto test server

The system then reboots, shows the startup screen & then loops around rebooting both in Normal & Safe mode.

5. Have tried booting from the 2003 install CD & repairing the installation.

This results in, instead of rebooting in a loop it freezes on the startup screen.

Does any one know if what we're trying to do is possible with different hardware?

Re: Help me restore Active directory on different hardware

HAve you reviewed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694 ?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Help me restore Active directory on different hardware

It is not a good idea to restore the system state on different h/w.

I would suggest you to join this new server in existing domain promote it as ADC and take it offline.

Clean the meta for this new DC from main domain.

If you have to make a dummy setup then seize the FSMO roles on this separated box.

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
      X