How to remove unwanted domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove unwanted domain?

Hi guys, first post here. It looks like a nice tidy forum with a lot of helpful people. I've just got a quick query, probably an easy one for you lot..

A while ago we had an Exchange guy come in to set up our server, and in the process he made a name domain that reflected our new name from the company, but then we told him a lot of our services and inhouse software relied on the old domain to work so he then set up our e-mail server to use the old one instead.

My problem now is that I have 2 domains when users try to authenticate onto the domain, it seems to default to the domain that this guy created and our clients are having to manually click the older domain to authenticate. How do I go about removing this domain that he created?

Re: How to remove unwanted domain?

Run dcpromo.exe on the server that he created the domain on and it will remove that domain.

Comment

Do you mean purging the unwanted domain name from the winlogon list?

If that is the case then that list is cached in the registry in one of 2 places pending on win version

HKLM\ Software\ Microsoft\ WindowsNT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon

To flush the list in Windows 2000, XP and 2003 you must delete the DCacheTimeout value and the DomainCache subkey and then reboot the system.

Comment

Better option is to demote domain if that's not required anymore.

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
          Better option is to demote domain if that's not required anymore.

Regards,
          Do you mean removing the domain from AD Domains and Trusts in the trust section? The domain was removed shortly after being created by the guy, but for some reason it still seems to appear on the logon screen as an option even though it doesn't show up in AD Domains and Trusts as an active domain?

Comment

Hi,

You simply need to clean meta for that domain which is not here anymore....

Follow:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230306

Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
            X