No announcement yet.

Move AD2003 to new server hardware

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move AD2003 to new server hardware

Not sure if this has already been posted. I would like to move my current AD2003 to new server hardware. I would like to keep the same server name. What is the correct way of doing this?

Re: Move AD2003 to new server hardware

Microsoft has TONS of info on how to do this. Try reading some technet articles before you attempt this. You need to supply more specific details about your network. This can be a big process even for a smaller sized network so be careful. There are imaging tools you can purchase that will image the whole drive, but if you only want AD try the following steps. This might not be the exact process but it should point you in the right direction.

Join new DC to domain under a different name and migrate AD over to it. You can use the migration tool,

or wait for AD to replicate to the new server. Be sure to transfer FSMO roles. I would leave both DCs running long enough to verify that data is replicating properly and users can log in. AD Sites and Services will help with this.

Demote and remove old server from AD using DCpromo command

Check that old server has been removed from AD Domain Controllers and elsewhere.

Rename new server to be the same as the old server and set all DNS/DHCP configurations to be the same as the old server.

Remember this is a delicate process not to be taken lightly. Do your research and backup AD before you begin and don't add/remove users or change policies until you're certain it worked.

Re: Move AD2003 to new server hardware

Have a look here: