Quick DNS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick DNS question

Is there a way to make a secondary DNS server the primary DNS server on a domain?

I have been searching the web but haven't found any good direction.

I know with domain controllers you transfer the 5 roles. And I have done that. But now I am not sure what to do with DNS?

Thanks.

Re: Quick DNS question

I'll see if I can take a stab at this. You can set the DNS server up with a primary or secondary zone. You can do this by going to the properties of the zone on your DNS server and changing them to a primary/secondary or whatever you want.

If you want your clients to use a particular DNS server as their primary DNS server you will need to configure which server you want as a primary/secondary in your DHCP settings or on the adapter if you have a static enviroment.

Maybe a few more details would be good if this did not help you.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Maybe integrate DNS into AD. That way your DNS will replicate to each DC.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
        Maybe integrate DNS into AD. That way your DNS will replicate to each DC.
        Ok, it looks like that is what is already set. I just wanted to make sure that the new DC I just setup will act as the primary DNS after I remove DNS from the old DC.

Comment

Originally posted by tow-eric View Post
          Ok, it looks like that is what is already set. I just wanted to make sure that the new DC I just setup will act as the primary DNS after I remove DNS from the old DC.
          What is the advantage/disadvantage to having DNS Integraged into AD as apposed to just setting it as a Primary Zone?

Is that the recommend setting?

Thanks.

Comment

As far as I am aware there is no Primary DNS server with integrated. Any DNS changes are stored in AD where they replicate to other DC's.

Just make sure each server is using itself as the primary DNS server.
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
            X