Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE: How to control which DC a client machine logs onto?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: How to control which DC a client machine logs onto?

Does anybody know if there is a way to control which Windows 2003 Domain Controller responds to a client logon request in a two Domain Controller environment? (Primary DC and Secondary DC)

David

Re: How to control which DC a client machine logs onto?

I take it you are still using Windows NT 4 (Primary and Backup domain controllers)?

If you are on Windows 2000 or 2003, repeat after me:

"All domain controllers are equal... but some are more equal than others"

You will be logged on to the closest domain controller (if you are using sites) otherwise it is pot-luck which DC responds to a logon request.

All DCs exchange information, so why does it matter which one you log on to?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Additionally we can determine the site by using subnet mapping but not the DC.

If you want one DC to not to participate take it offline

or stop "netlogon" service on that DC.

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

One more thing........

For better responses it should have been posted in "Active Directory" tab.

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Ossian/ kapilsharma11:

To Explain in more detail:

Currently i have a setup of three subnets connected by VPN (192.168.0.0, 1.0, 2.0). Subnet A has two controllers, primary and Secondary(Configured for Backup DNS and Backup File Server). Subnet B and C has one Secondary controller. All Servers are Win2003 SP2. Occasionally when loggin on with a client machine on subnet A the server on Subnet B responds to the client logon request and due to the slow broadband connection over VPN it can take quite some time to perform the logon ( 5- 8minutes). Cant find anything specific about it. It can happen at any client machine,any account type and at any time regardess if the local server is busy or not? Sometimes might not happen for weeks. But it does occur all the same.

Also, in continuation to a previous post by another user, if i setup the "Wait for Network Connection" in the GPO for scripts sometimes this too can take a long time.

Always when the slow logon occurs i can see through the logon details that the server that repsonded to the logon request was outside the current subnet (Secondary DC for Subnet B).

So thought maybe if there was a way of controlling which server repsonds to the logon request this might solve the problem?

I would disable client to external subnet communication on the routers only all the clients use Netmeeting between subnets, which is proving very usefull.

Also, if information is of any use, this problem never occurs on either subnet B or C. Their logon is always performed by the relevant local server.

Comment

Have you created sites within AD??

You should really create 3 sites A, B, C and set the IP Address of the subnet on each site.

This SHOULD help with your logon as the client SHOULD look in its local site first.

Comment

Working...
            X