No announcement yet.

Adding Remote Site to MMC Interface

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Remote Site to MMC Interface

Hello Everyone,

I know this should be simple to do, but for some reason I can't seem to figure it out.

At our main location we have a Windows 2003 domain using a W2k3 DC. We just installed a pc network at 4 remote locations that we have, each location has a W2k3 DC, all with similar configurations, and each location has a different domain name. The 4 remote locations connect to our main location via a broadband VPN connection. What I would like to do is be able to access the active directory information for each domain from my local active directory MMC snap in, so that I can make changes without needed to connect to the remote servers at each location. I know that there is a way to do this, perhaps I need to even setup a domain trust, but whenever I try to do that, I get errors. I'm pretty sure the errors are because of DNS, but I'm not sure how to configure the DNS entries to point to the domain at the remote locations. Also, the domains at the remote locations all exist on different IP subnets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Adding Remote Site to MMC Interface

1) Without trust you won't be able to administer remote AD forests using the same MMC.

2) If you want to create trust, you need to make sure each domain that will participate in a trust relationship is resolvable from all other domains.
    Suppose there are 3 domains:

a) In domain, configure in DNS server either conditional forwarding for and or secondary zone for each one of the remote domains.

b) Make sure the zones are replicated (if using secondary zones) and the hosts in remote domains are resolvable using their fully qualified domain names (i.e.: can resolve

c) After you have DNS set up correctly, you should be able to create trusts.

btw, any special reason for creating separate forests for remote sites ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"