No announcement yet.

Ad & Dns

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad & Dns

We added an additional (5th) DC to our domain. During the DNS setup we seemed to have messed something up. I don't think we selected the ADI option. As a result we lost all of our DNS entries on the 4 orginal DCs. We have DNS up and running again however we now don;t know if everything is as it should be. We are getting Event ID 4515 in the DNS Server event viewer. This is what is states:

The zone <domain>.local was previously loaded from the directory partition MicrosoftDNS but another copy of the zone has been found in directory partition DomainDnsZones.<domain>.local. The DNS Server will ignore this new copy of the zone. Please resolve this conflict as soon as possible.

We have removed the 5th domain controller we added. All our DCs are 2003. As I was not around when AD was first introduced to the company I am unsure as to wheter we were using the application or domain partition to hold the DNS entries. I can see a DNS entires in DC=doman,DC=local,CN=System,CN=MicrosoftDNS and also in the DomainDNSZones.

Is there a preference to where the DNS entries should be stored in the domain partiton or the application partition? And do we get get rid of the problem zone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Re: Ad &amp; Dns

That's very strange to me.

1. If you ere addining the 5th DC then there was no need of creating DNS zone as it should automatically replicate it from parent DC the only thing you needed was to install DNS component.

2. Even if you created a new Zone it would not delete the old entries.

As per your description i suspect that the original zone is still there.

Try to create the zone again with the same name (Obviously ADI). I have seen that it links to the main zone which seems to be deleted.

Kapil Sharma
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

This issue may occur when the DNS zone that is listed in the Event 4515 exists in more than one location in Active Directory. To resolve this you need to determine which Active Directory partition for Zone you would like to use, and then remove the other zone(s) from Active Directory. The only three places where Zone can exists in 2003 DC are
      1. To all DNS servers in the Active Directory Forest [ForestDNSZones]
      2. To all DNS servers in the Active Directory domain [DomainDNSZones]
      3. To all domain controllers in the Active Directory domain.

For information about how to get ride of unwanted Zone from AD, you can follow the below KB

Ritesh Grover

Duplicate zones are tagged as CNF's. Open up ADSI Edit look for your DNS zones and remove the CNF's.

AD is a multimaster environment, with each domain controller (DC) being able to create new objects. Each AD object has a distinguished name (DN) made up of its Relative Distinguished Name (RDN) (e.g., CN=John Savill) and its parent container (e.g., CN=Users, DC=savilltech, DC=com). An object's DN must be unique; two objects can't have the same DN. Now imagine that I have administrators in two different locations that each decide to create a new user called "Bruce Wayne" in the default Users container of the domain. (I'm using different locations because if the DCs were in the same location, the speed of replication between DCs in a site make it unlikely that the objects could be created simultaneously; the first object creation will likely have already replicated before the second object is created.) When the replication interval is reached, the DCs replicate and a collision occurs. The object that was created last will "win" and be kept, whereas the object that was created first will be renamed with an RDN in the format <original name> CNF: <objectGuid>. You will need to manually delete one of the objects, ideally the one marked "CNF." You can also delete the non-CNF object and rename the CNF object.
        Set-Location Malibu Beach