Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set redirection of whole Profile to Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set redirection of whole Profile to Server?

Hi there, new to the forums and hope somebody can give me a bit of guidance!

I have a Windows Server 2003 setup with roundabouts 10 clients/machines running Windows XP Pro.

However I have a problem which hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for the solution.

The users have massive profiles, some around 300MB.
    The problem starts however when the users move machines, which they do quite alot. This results in very very slow logons which we can't wait for. I've seen a setup whereby logon is almost instant, this being because the profile is not downloaded to the machine, all user files (eg Desktop and My Docs, Application Data, Favourites) are pointed directly to the server, at the user's home folder. I think some very small files are downloaded to the local profile which are required, but they are tiny and are deleted on logoff.

I've played around with some setups, but nothing gives me the perfect system.

I'd be very grateful for some help.

Thanks.
    alexyaffe.

Large Profile Problem
    Causes Slow Login and Logoff

A slow login or logoff will be experienced if the user's profile is too large.
    Background:
    Your Profile is located in two locations:
    on the Local Computer: c:\winnt\profiles\<your username>.
    on the Server: h:\profile
    Every time you log on and off, your profile directory has to be copied back and fourth to the server. This is not a problem unless you put large files on your desktop or elsewhere in your profile directory. If that happens, The computer has to copy the files across before you can log on or off. This means it can take sometimes up to a couple of minutes to log on and off. This is unnecessary since you could have stored the data on your user drive (H: ) to begin with. There is size limit set for the profile, it is limited to how much drive space you have available on your (H: ) drive.
    How to reduce the size of your profile:
    Do this both on the Local Computer, and on your H: drive. Go into your profile directory. Most of the time, the offending files will be found in the the Temporary Internet Files or Localsettings directory, but another common location is the Desktop Directory or the Personal Directory. Move files you want to keep out of the profiles directory in to another location on your H: Drive. REMOVE anything in the Temporary Internet Files or Localsettings directory, these are created by Internet Explorer "WHICH CAUSES MOST OF THESE PROBLEMS."
    Move files by opening Windows Explorer, highlighting the files and selecting edit-cut from the menu. Then go to your a location you would like to save them on your H: Drive and select Edit-Paste.
    Note: Keep your profiles (H:\profile)directory under 5MB will ensure you do not have a prolonged login time, the smaller the better

Comment

Your answer doesn't really help Alex. Im sure he (or she) is aware of the problem that is causing the slow logins and what you have said is an obvious solution. But what Alex wants is for the profile NOT to be downloaded to the machine at all.

To be honest Alex, I'm not aware of such a way but if it does exist... i want it!! We have the same problem here.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Use folder redirection feature in GPO instead of Roaming prifiles. this way the profile will not be copied locally each env every logon.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Ok what i want is to have a profile (on the network) that isn't ever copied to the local machine but remains on the network. Folder redirection doesn't seem to do this. Or should it?? Am i doing something wrong?
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

slow login times can also be caused to due to DNS setup incorrectly.
            But i am presuming you have that covered, and have targeted just the profile size as the problem ?

Comment

Working...
            X