Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC and DNS server on the same DC

Hi, helpful guys,
    May I please ask a question… (Sorry, have been browsing my brains out for the proper info, you are my last resort)

We’ve got Windows 2000 native mode Active Directory forest – three domains. Two DC in each, each DC is a DNS server, one GC in each domain.

Now we have added additional DC in one of the domains with a plan to demote one of the old ones eventually, so that we will have two DC again.

We have added New DC without DNS server configured, just TCP settings pointed to existing AD integrated DNS on another DC in the same domain. And I’m getting “no records registered for this DC in DNS”…error in dcdiag… however, Ad replication seems to work okay and the DC acts as a "normal" DC, there are all the usual records for this Dc in DNS servers on other domain controllers.

I would like to know: is it ok NOT to have DNS server on one of domain’s DC or it is better to have ALL DC configured as AD integrated DNS servers? And also: if I want to make New DC to be a second GC for this domain, does it needs to have DNS server on it? Or should I always have just one GC in each domain at any time?
    Many thanks in advance for any insight.

~Lana~
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Re: GC and DNS server on the same DC

i would make all the DCs GCs in this setup. if one of the GCs is down on a site, then nobody can logon but the admin, assuming that universal group membership caching feature is not being used.

some would disagree, as the traffic generated on 3268 (gc port) is heavy, but if the domain is setup, the traffic is minimal. also, if you throw exchange in the mix, then the increased availability is a plus, being that exchange is one of those 3268 applications... meaning it is always doing a query or something on 3268.

how many users do you have? a quote from google:
    A site does not require a global catalog server if it does not contain an Exchange server, contains fewer than 100 users, and is connected to another network segment that has its own global catalog server via a reliable network link.
    if you have an exchange server, then you will have to have the GC, as the caching is not a sufficient substitute for a GC.

so maybe you can soak all that in and make the call yourself after evaluating the variables.

is it ok NOT to have DNS server on one of domain’s DC or it is better to have ALL DC configured as AD integrated DNS servers?
    i dunno... i have 6 DCs on site, and two of them are DNS servers, 3 are GCs... and no problems. is it best practice? good question...

also, check this link out for fun. its common mistakes with AD DNS, which may help. you can backwards engineer the answers to suite your questions, extrapolating the data as needed...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291382
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

James, thank you for your response! I've googled more based on your advice and desided to make all DC to be GC for a time being. I wasn't sure if one can do this, considering MS reccomendation of not placing GC on the Infrustructure Master DC, but I think that by placing it on every DC it won't matter. Yes, the replication traffic might be huge, but guess, I just have to watch it for a while to see the impact.
      and yes, we do have Exchange 2003 in the forest and there are around 1000 users on it.
      My main concern was placing GC on the domain controller that hasn't got DNS server installed. I believe that should not be a problem?
      thanks for your prompt reply.
      ~Lana~
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Comment

Originally posted by Lana View Post
        James, thank you for your response! I've googled more based on your advice and desided to make all DC to be GC for a time being. I wasn't sure if one can do this, considering MS reccomendation of not placing GC on the Infrustructure Master DC, but I think that by placing it on every DC it won't matter. Yes, the replication traffic might be huge, but guess, I just have to watch it for a while to see the impact.
        and yes, we do have Exchange 2003 in the forest and there are around 1000 users on it.
        My main concern was placing GC on the domain controller that hasn't got DNS server installed. I believe that should not be a problem?
        thanks for your prompt reply.
        ~Lana~
        hi
        lana
        it is raj from bangalore
        it not good to have too many GC and see ur network traffic ,then u decide what to di i think don't make any dc to global C server

Comment

Originally posted by Basavaraj View Post
          hi
          lana
          it is raj from bangalore
          it not good to have too many GC and see ur network traffic ,then u decide what to di i think don't make any dc to global C server
          Basavaraj did you read the initial post? There are 2 DC at each of 2 sites (that makes 4 DC altogether) and of the 2 DCs at each site only half of them (that's ONE or 1) is a GC. I think in this case your post offers bad advice, has no supporting information and should not be considered.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lana View Post

We’ve got Windows 2000 native mode Active Directory forest – three domains. Two DC in each, each DC is a DNS server, one GC in each domain.

Now we have added additional DC in one of the domains with a plan to demote one of the old ones eventually, so that we will have two DC again.
            - You added 1 additional DC in one of the domain = 3
            Now you have 3 DC's in one of the domain not 2

- And secondly you want to demote 1 DC from 1 domain = 1 DC in that domain

Can you mention exact figure?

You can try by adding the new DC in DNS records manually ?

- Also try by restarting DNS server service
            - Check Forward look up zone , reverse look up zones
            - If its showing error then you'll have to restart DNS service and then add the new DC

Best practice is to keep single DNS server for each domain. Why you want to make each DC a DNS server in every domain ? That sounds weird actually ...

We have mixed mode scenario , Domain running DNS and 4 FSMO roles.
            1 DC running Infrastructure role.

Make all DC's Global Catalog server including the 1 which is hosting Infrastructure master.

Replicate all DC's manually by navigating to "NTDS" settings.
            All in 1
            Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Working...
            X