X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 domains - 1 subnet

Situation
    --------
    DomainA consists of 3 act. dir. sites (site1, site2, site3), each with their own DNS,DNS/WINS and DHCP.

Site1 will use its own DNS/WINS servers, but no DHCP server. (all other sites will have their own DHCP server)

Pc's in site1 should receive an IP address from a dhcp server in domainB.

domainA and domainB resize on the same subnet.

dhcp.domainB is configured with dhcp user classes, so each pc should receives the correct DNS/WINS of his domain.

question 1
    ----------
    Is this setup possible, and how can we prevent pc's in site1 to to query DHCP servers in site2 and site3.
    Site1 pc's only should receive an IP address from dhcp.domainB

question 2
    ----------
    Is it possible to create a DNS forwarder on dns.domainA to dns.domainB without a trust relationship
    between domainA and domainB?

Thank you all for your insight !!

Hans

1) Yes, and remember that:

a) DHCP is AD independant (besides the authorization issue), so it can lease IPs to any computer, regardless of its ddomain.

b) DHCP uses broadcasts which are usually blocked at the router level.

2) Yes, DNS forwarding and zone transfer is AD independant and can be configured to forward to any other DNS in the world.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Regarding Q1:

If Site1 is behind a router, all you need is to configure the router to forward DHCP requests to DomainB's DHCP server.
      The feature is usually called "dhcp/bootp forwarder" or in Cisco's IOS this is "ip helper". This way, the router will relay all DHCP requests to the specified server on behalf of the clients.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thank you Guy and Daniel !

Now I can proceed in my project

Comment

Originally posted by Guy (Antid0t)
          Regarding Q1:

If Site1 is behind a router, all you need is to configure the router to forward DHCP requests to DomainB's DHCP server.
          The feature is usually called "dhcp/bootp forwarder" or in Cisco's IOS this is "ip helper". This way, the router will relay all DHCP requests to the specified server on behalf of the clients.
          Sorry to interrupted this post because I'm facing the same question, how if we are not used router (the domains in the same subnet)?
          How I configure my clients to point to the specific DHCP server?
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

You can't do that, but you can configure exact reservations for specific MAC addresses on one DHCP, so computers that do not have the right MAC address will be forced to only use a different DHCP.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

That's answered my question, thanks Mitsu. But there's a trick if I have to configure on that way for a large number of clients?
              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X