Add/Remove Self As Member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add/Remove Self As Member

Hi, I want to enable my users to add them self to few groups. Can some one tell me how to do this? I read in some forums that I need to enable Add/Remove Self As Member permission to do this. But it is not very clear for me where to apply these permissions...on groups? on users? on OUs?

I will be more happy if you any one helps me with a scenario

Thanks much

Re: Add/Remove Self As Member

Pretty short on info about your setup here so I'll assume you're in a single domain environment.

Create a domain local group and a global group. Put the users in the global group, put the global group in the local group. Right-click the group you want them to have the ability to add and remove themselves from, select "Properties". Select the "Security" tab. Click "Advanced". Click "Add", and select the domain local group you created earlier. Find the "Add and remove self as member" permission, and grant it to that group. Click "OK". Click "OK". Click "OK". Now test.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks tom for your reply.

Now I am able to modify users groups membership for a given group.

But I am unable to modify the group membership directly(i.e by going to the properties of group account for which I want the users to add and remove). I think this is expected.

One thing that I can not understand is, which I have to create domain local and domain global groups for this operating? Can I give permissions to user account directly? Or I will create just one group and give permissions to that group only. Will it work this way?

Thanks

Comment

You can give permissions to the group directly, but the more non-standard permissions entries in the ACL for an object (which these are) the poorer performance will be of that object. Also, Microsoft Best Practice dictates that you use groups to grant permissions - from the point of view of ease of management.

The only downside is that permissions are NOT subject to replication delays, whereas adding a member to a group IS subject to replication.

I would strongly recommend that you follow the process I outline above, or you will be building problems which will bite you later on.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
        X