Migrate current DC to New Domain on same Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate current DC to New Domain on same Hardware

Could i please get peace of mind, I am in the process of splitting up a company, we have created a new domain and built out the DC with it, a trust is in place between the 2 domains.
    My thoughts are with the remote sites, what i plan to do is, back up the DHCP scopesand DNS, demote the server using dcpromo, join the server to the new domain , dcpromo it backup and restore the DHCP and DNS.

Is there anything im missing or major flaws in this, the domains at the top level are forwarding DNS from the new doamin to the old presently.

Kindest regards.
    J

Re: Migrate current DC to New Domain on same Hardware

there isnt very much info here to work with...

depending on what your trying to do, i may have an answer.

i took the liberty of making a little visio to help me help you understand what is going on here...

is the drawing representational of what your trying to do, or is it not even close?
    Attached Files
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Yes thats correct, the DC`s are not on the same site but connected via WAN links.
      The IP address were going to stay the same, Do you see any issues in this.

Kind regards

John

Comment

no problems, as long as the users are content with having a new domain name.

please tell me there is no exchange involved here... if so, then you will need to rethink this adventure. exchange and domain name changing sucks bad...

if not, then i wouldnt see any difficulties with this implementation, assuming you have a decent WAN link connecting the 2 sites.

good luck,
        James
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
        X