Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help about moving Active Directory

Hi Guys

I have a windows 2k DC running on our LAN. Now I set up another 2003 server and promote it to another DC, which is a totally new domain. Is it possible I can move all objects from old DC to new one?

Thanks in advance

Kire

Re: Need Help about moving Active Directory

Yes using ADMT.

Do a search for it on here.

Comment

Thanks for reply, I checked the ADMT, it said "Intraforest migration is a move operation instead of a copy operation. These migrations are said to be destructive because after the move, the migrated objects no longer exist in the source domain." Is there any other options, which not force me to delete source objects?

Comment

Originally posted by Kire View Post
        Thanks for reply, I checked the ADMT, it said "Intraforest migration is a move operation instead of a copy operation. These migrations are said to be destructive because after the move, the migrated objects no longer exist in the source domain." Is there any other options, which not force me to delete source objects?
        Shourly that's what you want though! Why would you still want users logging onto the old domain after they have been migrated?

I'm sure I recall an option to leave all accounts in the souce domain but disable them but I can't remember. Damm you brain!!!

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

that's because I'm afraid if I failed in the moving process, then I can't go back.
          I have another idea, is that possible if I let windows2003 join to my domain as BDC, once it copy whole active directory, then I can rename it to new domain name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kire View Post
            that's because I'm afraid if I failed in the moving process, then I can't go back.
            I have another idea, is that possible if I let windows2003 join to my domain as BDC, once it copy whole active directory, then I can rename it to new domain name.
            That seems like a messy way of trying to do it.

The ADMT allows you to test the migration before actually doing it, so you can check to see if there will be any issues before actually doing it for real. I would suggest installing it and giving it a try with a single object. If it's successful then try with a few more etc.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds good, I'll try it, thanks a lot

Comment

Another question is how do I make sure my DCS are in one forest, if I installed two dc servers but they have different domain name

Thanks

Comment

try http://utools.com/UMove.asp
                  Don't waist time.

Good luck
                  Lasantha

Comment

Working...
                  X