Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating a new user in Active Directory with a template?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a new user in Active Directory with a template?

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
    Microsoft Exchange 2003
    All patched to the hilt
    ---------------------------------------------

I would like to automatically populate the "User Logon Name" and email address each time I create a new user.

It would be based on the users first and last name.

So if I create a new user named Joe Shmoe the end result would be a new user with the logon name:

user logon name: jshmoe
    email address: [email protected]
    users home directory: \\fileserver\home\jshmoe

I know this can be done as I have seen it in production, however I can not remember the steps.

Will I need to create a template say, templateuser with %firstinitiallastname% or something similar?

What about for the email address? Is that built into the recipient policy? I believe Microsoft recommends creating a new recipient policy and never to delete the default.

This install is from scratch so any other helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time in advance!

Re: Creating a new user in Active Directory with a template?

Email addresses are taken care of by the recipient policy. The following article should help you design a recipient policy:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...ent_policy.htm

With regards to the template, AFAIK this isn;t possible. Perhaps the people who you seen doing a similar task had some sort of provision engine which when you supplied it with a First Name and Last Name it automatically created the accounts based on a set of rules.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X