Rename or migrate to new AD domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename or migrate to new AD domain?

What is the better way to go about renaming an AD domain in my situation: using Rendom or building a new domain and migrating?

My situation: started here 5 months ago and inherited a single-label domain ("domain", not "domain.local" or "domain.com"), functional level is 2003 Native mode. I have two DC's running 2003 server standard, six other 2003 servers (all servers are on the same LAN), 50 XP PC's and several Wyse thin clients running off Terminal Server. Lot's of user/group security settings and our ERP app plus some other apps all use AD security.

The single label domain is not causing problems now, just some DNS errors in our DNS event logs, but I fear it may cause problems in the future. I want to implement DFS and add DR systems in a remote office, and I hope to move email to Exchange server. Seems like I should fix the domain name now before adding more things to AD

Your thoughts?
    Mike S

Rename or migrate to new AD domain?

What you want to implement in DR ?

And

Do you want to rename the domain name or only the server names ? so that you can install Exchange name. But it all resolves in DNS. You can also continue with the current setup and configure the DNS properly. 50 % of problems arise out of incorrect/misrepresented config of DNS.

Amit
    From,
    Amit
    [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: Rename or migrate to new AD domain?

For cleaness (is that a word?)
      I feel its always best to start again. Especially with Active Directory.
      This way you can build the new Domain and slowly migrate everything over.

Also you have a rollback should anything go wrong.
      ::: Remember to give credit if you have found this useful. :::
      ::: Wild Oak Tech :::

Comment

Just the want to rename the domain to something like domain.local or local.domain.com. instead of simply "domain" as it is today. The server names are fine

DR
        -replicate the data on our file server (user files and server vmware vmdk files)
        -remote office users can access the file shares locally instead of the WAN
        -stand by VMWare ESX server to load and run the vmdk files on

Thanks for the reply
        Mike S

Originally posted by amit View Post
        What you want to implement in DR ?

And

Do you want to rename the domain name or only the server names ? so that you can install Exchange name. But it all resolves in DNS. You can also continue with the current setup and configure the DNS properly. 50 % of problems arise out of incorrect/misrepresented config of DNS.

Amit

Comment

Hmmm cleanliness is a word

I agree a new domain is safer but it strikes me as a lot of work, so many things are integrated into AD users/groups. Loads of shared files security settings, application servers user access settings, server services. I fear it is opening a huge can of worms but maybe the domain migration tools are effective. That's why I'm posting, hopefully someone here has done it. We're a some shop so it is probably something I can clean up over a weekend

Mike S

Originally posted by Guyver-it View Post
          For cleaness (is that a word?)
          I feel its always best to start again. Especially with Active Directory.
          This way you can build the new Domain and slowly migrate everything over.

Also you have a rollback should anything go wrong.

Comment

Well if you want to go ahead with the naming procedure you can rename the domain.

And to make things a little easier, there are some convenient renaming tools from our friends at Technet (Microsoft)

See here for more info.
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb405948.aspx

I suggest throughly reading and digesting these two documents first so you have a better understanding of what is required and what happends:
            Understanding how Domain Renaming works - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...name-intro.doc
            Step by step guide to implementing a domain rename - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...-procedure.doc

Hope this helps and good luck with the renaming.
            ::: Remember to give credit if you have found this useful. :::
            ::: Wild Oak Tech :::

Comment

Although I have used "rendom" to rename the domain but I feel that migration is much easier and better option as "Rendom" is much complex to be used. So I am not a fan of "Rendom" but still if you want to go for it, below is the ref:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

In the last on the above link there is step by step guide also.

Regards,
              Kapil Sharma
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
              X