NTFRS error ID 13568 (abit log)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFRS error ID 13568 (abit log)

Hi, I have a site with a single win2k3 standard server. Recently I'm having a strange recurring
    Error I can`t log into the server locally nor by RDP. After a long research and many "solutions" from Microsoft I've tried, I finally decided to reinstall but now, after I enabled the "File replication service" in order to create a replica of the active directory on a virtual server I receive the following error :

" Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NtFrs
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 13568
    Date: 30/10/2007
    Time: 20:51:07
    User: N/A
    Computer: PGLSRV
    Description:
    The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
    Replica root path is : "c:\windows\sysvol\domain"
    Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"
    A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the following reasons.

[1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted.
    [2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted.
    [3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.
    [4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time.
    [5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on "\\.\C:".
    Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state.
    [1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service.
    [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this error condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click down the key path:
    "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameter s"
    Double click on the value name
    "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
    and update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown above."

I followed the instructions (registry and so on), but after two hours with no sysvol and nothing in the event viewer, I restored the system from a backup, this is the only dc & file server & exchange so it must be functional all day.
    Last edited by mcszb; 31st October 2007, 09:56.

Re: NTFRS error ID 13568 (abit log)

Try restarting NTFRS and netlogon services
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I did, still the same error everytime I start NTFRS

Comment

Hi,

1. If you are getting this on your DC then go the following registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup:

Change the value of "BurFlags" to D4 in hex.

2. If you are getting this on your ADC then go the following registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup:

Change the value of "BurFlags" to D2 in hex.

**** Before maknig the change stop NTFRS and after making the change start NTFRS service. It will do.
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Re: NTFRS error ID 13568 (abit long)

Tank u very much very helpfull worked like a charm!

Comment

Hi,

thanks for solution , works for me, however...

to be honest, I don't understand ntfrs, so could you please explain to me, what should I do with the entry, that microsoft advised to change to 0? should it be changed to 1 again, or deleted? ( I had to create that entry ).

In your reply, there are 2 steps of changing value in the same entry. Should I follow all of them or just stick with the first one, which worked for me?

Kind Regards

jum4n7i
            ..:: jumanji

Comment

Originally posted by Kapil Sharma
              1. If you are getting this on your DC then go the following registry setting:

2. If you are getting this on your ADC then go the following registry setting:
              What's the difference?

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi,

Lemme explain it to you..

By-default the value remains 0. We can change it to D2 or D4 (only if required).

Once you change it to D2 or D4 it will automatically change to 0 after it executes the desired.

D2: stands for non-authoritative restore. If we set this value on any DC then it will not try to perform outbond replication it will get replicate the good copy from other DCs.

D4: stands for authoritative restore. If we set this value on any DC then it will do a force outbond replication.

so if only one DC is faulty then we can simply go for D2 on that and if multiple DCs are faulty then on any correct DC we will do D4 and on all the faulty DCs we will do D2.

For more info visit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290762

Lastly let your value remain 0 once the problem is resolved. Let us know if further info is needed.

Regards,
                Kapil Sharma
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Great!

Basically if I have one DC which is faulty, D4 is what I really need, right?

@Stonelaughter: hehe, now I can see it

Anyway, it works now, AND I've got the basic idea, how it works.

Just a minute ago, I've found an article about ntfrs. Haven't read it yet, but I think it may be quite interesting.

http://mcpmag.com/Features/article.asp?EditorialsID=403

Thanks guys!

jum4n7i
                  ..:: jumanji

Comment

Originally posted by jum4n7i View Post
                    Hi,

thanks for solution , works for me, however...

to be honest, I don't understand ntfrs, so could you please explain to me, what should I do with the entry, that microsoft advised to change to 0? should it be changed to 1 again, or deleted? ( I had to create that entry ).

In your reply, there are 2 steps of changing value in the same entry. Should I follow all of them or just stick with the first one, which worked for me?

Kind Regards

jum4n7i
                    In the future please start a new Topic for your own question and not hijack another members thread otherwise answering 2 postes in the one thread can get very confusing. Thanks.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X