Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renamed system still showing old name...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renamed system still showing old name...

In the DNS name.

I just used the trial version of Retina and when I scanned the IP group I wanted to scan, some system that I had renamed earlier last week still show their old name in the DNS name view.

For isntance. I renamed "Mike" to "QBS0XX". It's showing up as QBS0XX as the Machine Name, but in the DNS name it's still showing it as "Mike".

I've never come across this before so I'm stumped.
    My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Re: Renamed system still showing old name...

I figured it out. I had to go into the DNS management and delete the old system names. I also found that there were a few system that were registering with the same IP addresses as other systems on the network.

Comment

You might want to consider turning DNS scavenging on.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I checked that out and the only reason I'm hesitating is that if I turn it on, I'm scared that it's going to scavenge all of my current systems (I guess that's how to properly state it).

I'm still getting my feet wet with this network and realizing that I somehow know more than, and can do more than, I ever thought I could possibly know or do, administration wise.

Of course, this forum has helped tremendously, as have other friends that I've hit up for tips now and then.

Comment

Working...
        X