Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about Sites and Services and Supernetting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about Sites and Services and Supernetting.

Hello,
    I am working on Sites and Services for our client. Instead of making 40 subnets in Sites and Services is it possible to create a subnet like 10.30.0.0 under Sites and Services.

10.30.x.x was supernetted.

Thanks,
    David

Re: Quick question about Sites and Services and Supernetting.

Hey David,
    You can use any subnet you like there is no restriction. Can you please explain your question. What subnet mask you are using?

Comment

Do you mean that 10.30.x.x was subnetted as in

Subnet 1 = 10.30.1.x
      Subnet 2 = 10.30.2.x

Or something similar?

We don't have multiple subnets but if I remember my studies correctly, a client will authenticate with a DC in it's own site so if you don't create multiple Sites you may have clients trying to authenticate with DC's that are not local to the client (meaning that they may authenticate with a DC in another city or country, etc.) which would probably cause some problems.

Comment

Hello Ahmar_sahab,
        Here is an example of our DHCP scopes.

Scope :10.30.65.0 NM: 255.255.254.0 / 23 Houston - NOC
        Scope :10.30.66.0 NM: 255.255.254.0 / 23 Houston - first floor
        Scope :10.30.67.0 NM: 255.255.254.0 / 23 Houston - second floor
        Up too 10.30.99.00

Now under AD Sites and Services instead of creating individual Subnets can I create a subnet with the following values.

255.255.254.0 /23
        Texas <- Site name.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
        David

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
        Hey David,
        You can use any subnet you like there is no restriction. Can you please explain your question. What subnet mask you are using?

Comment

It makes sense but I think you will run into clients on first floor authenticating with a DC on the second floor, etc., etc. if you create a single subnet.

Comment

Hello joeqwerty,
            Yeah that is what I am trying to do right now is clean up all this mess. I creating AD Sites and Services to match the DHCP scopes. I noticed that a Houston Server authenticated to a Omaha DC. Not good.

Thanks,
            David

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Do you mean that 10.30.x.x was subnetted as in

Subnet 1 = 10.30.1.x
            Subnet 2 = 10.30.2.x

Or something similar?

We don't have multiple subnets but if I remember my studies correctly, a client will authenticate with a DC in it's own site so if you don't create multiple Sites you may have clients trying to authenticate with DC's that are not local to the client (meaning that they may authenticate with a DC in another city or country, etc.) which would probably cause some problems.

Comment

Well on the upside you only have to do this once... hopefully. GL.

Comment

Yeah I can't wait until it is done, there are 500 servers with this client.

Thanks man!

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Well on the upside you only have to do this once... hopefully. GL.

Comment

hi,
                  use subnet value as 10.30.65.0 with subnet mask as 255.255.254.0
                  this would help your clients to properly resolve addresses. The configuration you using would not help to determine proper address of domain controllers to clients
                  cheers

Comment

I don't beleive that what you're saying will work. How will the clients know to authenticate to 10.30.65.x instead of 10.30.66.x if they are on the 10.30.65.x subnet using your plan. Can you explain? Thanks much.

Comment

Working...
                    X