Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Profile From One Domain To A New Domain

Any profile experts out there??

i have about 50 users which I will be joining to a new domain..........the biggest problem here is the user profiles.

is there any special way of copying user profiles to a new domain.

their current profiles are stored locally on each PC, but the biggest problem is that once their computers to a new domain, their profiles will be recognized as "account unknown".

i haven't had much time to test and i was just wondering if anyone out there knew of a quick fix. thanks.

remember, from one domain to a new domain.

Re: Copy Profile From One Domain To A New Domain

Check out "Active Directory Migration Tool"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

funny you say that, i was just reading up on it...........

one question: when i perform the migration, what happens to:

1. the users local profile

2. the log in box at log on, does it have the new domain name

???

thanks heaps.

Comment

You will need to join the PCs to the new domain!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Here is an old school way of doing it:

1. Log on to each workstation as a local user.
          2. Copy the original domain user profile to the local user profile
          3. Join the new domain and copy the local user profile to the new domain user profile

Comment

when i join the new domain, the other accounts appear as "account unknown"

Comment

The local user profile should still show up as a local user profile regardless of domain membership. Did you create a local user and then log in as that user to create a profile?

Comment

no it doesn't...in the system > advanced > user profiles..........it turns up as Account Unknown.

the only way i can get to it, is if i do it thru c:\docs and settings\

Comment

doing some testing and this is where i am stuck...although close.

i joined the new domain ....then logged off.

i manually copied the full profile of user1.olddomain over user1.newdomain.........i did this in C:\Documents and Settings........

when i log into the domain under the user1, as long as I am an Administrator of the local PC (eg, newdomain\user1 is a member of ADministrators on the local PC), .........i can access the profile as it was before, PERFECT this is including OUTLOOK, desktop icons, absolutely everything..........the only one thing required was to re-enter Outlook Password.

when the user1 is not a local Administrator...................i get only part of the profile and cannot even open outlook, the desktop is black, etc....it seems to be more like a mandatory profile .....

so basically i am stuck as to what to do............can i make all users local Admins of each PC...............if so, is this a good long term thing to do??

i even tried resetting permissions to the whole C:\Documents and Settings\user1.newdomain to user1 full control...............and then take user1 off the local Admin group.............but no luck...

member of Power Users...no luck

The domain user has to be a member of the Local Administrators group in order to fully assume the profile.

Ideas please?

Comment

Did you create a local (not domain) user account and log on as the local user to create a profile?

Comment

just as local administrator.

and then as the local administrator, i manually copied all files and folders from olddomaain user to newdomain user......

are you saying this:

-create a local user called user1
                      -login as user1
                      -log off
                      -copy user1.olddomain profile into local user1 profile
                      - join computer to domain
                      - create user name in AD called user1
                      - login as user1.newdomain
                      -log out
                      -log in as local Administrator and manually copy contents of user1 local profile over user1.newdomain profile???
                      Last edited by dublin_101; 12th October 2007, 13:04.

Comment

Yes, except in the last step don't manually copy the profile. Copy it from the system > advanced > user profiles, making sure that you select the permitted to use > change button and select either everyone or the new domain user as allowed to use this profile. That will make the required security changes to the profile.

Comment

i'll try this on monday and i hope so much that it works....

if this does not work.........would creating a trust between domains help? i have limited time unfortunately as my bosses think its an easy thing to migrate domains..etc,....

so i have a few hours on monday morning to attempt this and if it don't work.......i'll have to think of something else.......maybe creating a trust could help.

ps...i just tried some stuff remotely, being that i created a local user, logged in...logged out and then in as Administrator.........i tried via the system > adv > profiles..copying from user.domain to user.local...................it seems that all except local settings copied across.....when i logged in as local user1, everything looked good until i tried to open Outlook..at which point it said it didn't have permissions to open user1.domain PST (meaning it was still looking at the other directory)..i tried manually copying local settings, but unfortunately Outlook was still looking at the other path.
                          Last edited by dublin_101; 12th October 2007, 15:14.

Comment

It's working as local admin because it has full permissions to all files. Just give the new user full access to its profile folder, and when you demote it to a power user or user or whatever, it'll still be able to access all of its files.

I happen to be doing something similar at work, however we can't set up a trust between the domains. We're doing it old school, copying users' files to a temp directory, removing PC from domain 1, rebooting, adding to domain 2, rebooting, logging in as new user account, and copying files back. We're guessing 30 min-1 hr for the process per computer. We have enough time / man hours to do it this way, although we've got more than 50 computers / users involved in the process

Comment

i tried giving the user full access to the folder, but that wouldn't work either....its driving me nuts....

i just gave the local user full access, and it fixed the outlook issue, which means its still pointing to the old profiles folder.......but i suppose we could just change that config on outlook and move the pst's across............

but what it looks like i'm going to do is as joeqwerty has said above.........copy from domain user profile to a local user profile. .....then join new domain and log in under the designated user profile.........log out and log in as local PC admin.............and then copy from local profile to the new user profile......however when tried, it didn't copy "local settings" accross...

when you say copying files back...do you mean when you are logged in as the same user?...or you log back out and then overwrite the users "newuser" folder with the whole contents of the "olduser" profile??

all of your suggestions are appreciated guys, thanks heaps.
                              Last edited by dublin_101; 14th October 2007, 01:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X