restoringg active directory and exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoringg active directory and exchange

Can backing up the Exchsvr and NTDS folders and restoring them on another machine actually restore AD?

The reason I ask, I am trying to migrate from one server to the next with same domain name, etc. The current domain is in a hosted facility, and the future one is on site. I am having trouble using csvde to import AD users and exchange info. I always get an error when importing that says Access Denied (or something to that affect).

Thanks.

Re: restoringg active directory and exchange

do you have admin rights on the hosted server?

verify that the needed ports are open as well.

what about ldifde? does it fail also?

can you perform ntbackups or do they fail as well?
    Can backing up the Exchsvr and NTDS folders and restoring them on another machine actually restore AD?
    to an extent, yes. there is some messing with that must be done... this link shows one scenario that may present itself during this process:
    http://exchangeblog.wordpress.com/ca...ive-directory/

pay attention to drive letters also. you will probably run into problems if the drive letters differ after a restore...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: restoringg active directory and exchange

I do have admin rights on all servers. I tried NT Backup today and restoring it on another DC and the server will not boot now. So I guess the answer to that is no.

And yes ldifde fails as well. Same issue. How else could I move the DC? I tried establishing a VPN connection, add the server to the existing domain, and use ADMT, but it cannot see the new domain to migrate to. So I am not sure where to go?

Comment

Working...
      X