• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating NT4 Domain to Windows Server AD

Originally Posted by guyt
    I do not think there is a need to over-complicate this:

1) Create two-way trust between the W2K3 AD and NT domain

2) Migrate the user accounts using ADMT

3) Move the mailboxes using ExMerge (or you want to go creative, you might try AD Connector)

The final result will be: all users are in the W2K3 AD.
    Hi,
    I'm in the process of Migrating NT 4 Domain to Win2K3 AD, from the steps which you have provided is i can migrate Domain Objects such as; users & computers. But what about after migrating all the computers and Users from NT 4 To AD Domain, what to do with the NT Domain? Shall i just demote it and get rid of it?

In this case if I'm going to create two-way Trust between domains, it means that the NT Domain is in different Name and the new Win2k3 AD is in different Name like NT.Local and AD.Local.

What about the computers NetBIOS Names? Is that will be changed from NT.local to AD.Local during the Migration?

Thank you all for your great help.

BR, Habibalby
    ================================
    HND: Higher National Diploma in
    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
    Done:VMware DSA
    ================================[/COLOR]

Re: Migrating NT4 Domain to Windows Server AD

i would suggest the following whitepaper to follow:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...t4domtoad.mspx

that paper has all the possible answers to any questions you might have.

its really not that hard, but it is time consuming. read the whole thing BEFORE you attempt anything. sucks to have anything jump out and bite ya in the arse just cause you didnt read ahead...

good luck bro,
    j
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thank you, I have gone though it and found really helpfull info.

F.Y.I: I'm doing this on a Virtual environment, due to lack of physical HW resources:

1. When i upgrade the NT4 server directly to Win2 Server, it upgrade it fine till it finishes the installation and prompt me to install the Active Directory. Active Directly it installed, configured the DNS. All the objects which were in the NT4 Domain has come into the Active Directory.

2. The Domain Name when it was on NT4 Domain it was as NT.Local, when AD installation is going on, it prompt me to give a DNS Name, i gave NBBPilot.Local. The Clients where joined into the NT.Local Domain, however when i migrated and restarted one computer, the Domain Name changed in the Clients but the Log on: first screen to login it shows NT.Local. Is there any way to get of NT.Local Name in the First login Screen and Replace it with the New Domain Name?

3. After all this upgrade is goes fine, i will raise the Functional Level of Domain and introcude Win2K3 as an Additional Domain Controller.

4. Moved all the Roles to the Win2K Server.

5. Test login and GC, as we are having Exchange 5.5 in the Network running to the Windows NT4 Domain.

6. Demote Win2K server.

Is that Okay?

BR,
      Habibalby
      Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

2. The Domain Name when it was on NT4 Domain it was as NT.Local, when AD installation is going on, it prompt me to give a DNS Name, i gave NBBPilot.Local. The Clients where joined into the NT.Local Domain, however when i migrated and restarted one computer, the Domain Name changed in the Clients but the Log on: first screen to login it shows NT.Local. Is there any way to get of NT.Local Name in the First login Screen and Replace it with the New Domain Name?
        I think in order to achive this in the Logon Screen, i have to Rename the Domain Name isn't?

thanks,

Habibalby
        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Working...
        X