X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 clients share and 2k3 file server

I have a problem with win98 clients.

They cant connect to certain share. \\server\data\%username%
    The permission in the "data" directory is Administrators.
    The user has full control over his home folder.

net use gives me an error that i can't connect to the share.

Windows Xp clients can connect no problems.

Re: Win98 clients share and 2k3 file server

Windows Server 2003 by default will not authenticate legacy clients for security reasons. If you enable legacy clients to connect, Windows Server 2003 becomes extremely insecure - I would STRONGLY advise you to upgrade those machines to Windows XP Pro.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

let me clarify. i can't upgrade. i work for a school and they keep win98 pc for kids programs whatever.

The windows 98 client CAN access a regular share like this \\server\share on the windows 2k3 server.

they can't access a share like this \\server\share1\ -->folder1

Share permission on share1 = fullcontrol, ntfs permission = none.
      Folder1 is not shared, it's a directory under share1.
      Ntfs permission on folder1 = full control.

I found a workaround but it sucks, i need to share folder1 and they can access it via \\server\folder1 share.

other workaround ?

Comment

ok.. heres another workaround then.

get some p2v software and create an image of the 98 machines. then upgrade the client station to xp pro, slap vmware workstation on it, import the p2v image and run it as a locked out VM, creating the appearance of a 98 machine...

then set up a share with vmware for the 98 client, basically having the xp 'proxy' all the disk writes... i know this isnt the proper use of the term 'proxy', but i dont know what you would call that. maybe an NTFS liaison, legacy babysitter, assisted living... i dunno.

then you have the 98 machines without the suckingness of an actual 98 machine... the only thing worse would be having a lab full of Windows ME machines.

just an alternative, and it wouldnt cost you a thing... you can find freeware to do all the above.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by bonald View Post
          let me clarify. i can't upgrade. i work for a school and they keep win98 pc for kids programs whatever.

The windows 98 client CAN access a regular share like this \\server\share on the windows 2k3 server.

they can't access a share like this \\server\share1\ -->folder1

Share permission on share1 = fullcontrol, ntfs permission = none.
          Folder1 is not shared, it's a directory under share1.
          Ntfs permission on folder1 = full control.

I found a workaround but it sucks, i need to share folder1 and they can access it via \\server\folder1 share.

other workaround ?
          That's a physical limitation of the NetBIOS implementation in Windows 98. You would have to map a drive to the share and then use K:\folder1 (for instance).

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If i give ntfs full control on share1 to the user he can access his share with no problems.
            Can i set up a special ntfs permission on the share1 folder so that he could access his home folder but couldn't list folder on share1 ?

\\server\share1\homefoler

share1 = special ntfs persission workaround that will let pass win98 clients?

possible ? secure ?

Comment

Working...
            X