Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to migrate users and groups from windows 2000 to 2003

Dear Friends,
    How to migrate Active Directory users and groups from windows 2000 to 2003. I found a migration tool v2.0 but I didn't know to work with it does any one know how to ?
    thanks,

Re: How to migrate users and groups from windows 2000 to 2003

Originally posted by hdamis View Post
    Dear Friends,
    How to migrate Active Directory users and groups from windows 2000 to 2003.
    ? WTF? is this the title of your new manual on migrating users from 2000 to 2003? it just reads as more of a statement than a question...

i really didnt think there was too much to migrating per say, as neither are NT domains... maybe you could be specific about what part you want to migrate.

maybe you mean, "how do you gracefully clean up a mixed mode AD domain?" but i dont know...

basically you make sure that you have a 2003 up and running as a DC with GC and pdc emul. with all the roles.. then demote the 2000 servers. thats really all...

the only things you might need to be careful about is the migration of your DNS and DHCP servers, as they will cause problems if you arent to the T. the last thing you want to do delete a buttload of reservations for all your printers and servers...

and the DNS... remember that DNS is an integral part of AD domains. if you hose the DNS, you can bet the rest will hose right after that, so dont screw that up.

Dear Friends,
    I found a migration tool v2.0 but I didn't know to work with it does any one know how to ?
    thanks,
    im gonna send you to the same page i sent that other user to in the last thread. it will show you how tou use the migration tool i think you have, but i dont know cause you neglected to tell us what the NAME OF THE TOOL IS!
    http://winad.epfl.ch/core/index.asp?article=58

and if you wanna get better help, try to practice up on your english typing skills and maybe do some grammatical proofing.. your question is almost non-readable...

and im being nice... someone like biggles would rail this post. speaking of biggles, where is he to post something about this thread? j/k...

good luck bro.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

You have to remember that English (a) has an AWFUL word order compared to other, more structured languages, and (b) is not everyone's first language on a worldwide forum such as this.

A little tolerance never goes amiss.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

im sorry.. i thought i was being reasonable.

i know that english isnt as friendly as other so-called 'structured' languages, but being that 99.99% of this forum is written in english and based on english models of OSs, it may be advantageous to brush up on some english skills... only so that we may provide better help.

but language barriers aside, we still need the names of tools and such to offer more precise help, if any at all.

no disrespect was meant to hdamis or you Stonelaughter. i apologize if it was perceived that way.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

No sir, I think my question is so clear. but I still couldn't find any good answer .

Comment

if both are in the same domain, you won't need any ADMTs, just make additional windows server 2003 domain controller by dcpromo and choose additional Domain Conroller for Existing domain and type domain name and provide a domain admin credentials.. wait for replication and you will find users are replicated to your new additional 2003, move the FSMO roles to the new one and demote the old one by another dcpromo command

if it's not your answer you're seeking clarify the case more please and you will fina an answer

BRs

Comment

Dear Friends,
              How to migrate Active Directory users and groups from windows 2000 to 2003. I found a migration tool v2.0 but I didn't know to work with it does any one know how to ?
              thanks,
              I would say that the post is truly unclear...I am guessing you need help regarding the ADMT tool (thats what I understood seeing the version). You may find this helpful

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326480

MurTuzA
              The Never Ending Loop of User Rights
              START
              Q. Why is Windows so insecure?
              A. Because everyone runs as Administrator.
              Q. Why does everyone run as Administrator (even when they know better)?
              A. Because they don't understand security and are afraid they will be prevented from doing things.
              Q. Why don't they understand security?
              A. Because they run as Administrator, bypassing all security.
              LOOP TO START

Comment

Working...
              X