Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Error while trying to demote a windows 2k3 domain controller

Hi ,

I have a win 2K3 server which acts as a Domain Controller in a domain (along with 3 other DCs). This server is neither the operations master, nor the DNS server, nor the DHCP server.

I presume that the Active directory was not installed correctly on this server coz when I try to open AD from administrative tools it shows the following error message:

"Naming Information can not be located for the following reason:
    The server is not operational. "

So I am trying to demote this server from being a DC. But, when I run dcpromo to demote this server, it shows me the following error message:

"The operation failed because:
    Managing the network session with anotherdomaincontrollername.domainname failed.
    A device attached to the system is not working"

I am very new to Active Directory. So, could you kindly suggest me on what I should do?

- Ashok

Re: An Error while trying to demote a windows 2k3 domain controller

Try to Google your error and see what you come up with.

If all fails, use the following command:

Code:
    dcpromo /forceremoval
    Thus turning the server back to being a stand alone server. You will need to manually use NTDSUTIL to clean the AD database from the remains of the failed DC. See my site for an article about that.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

run on the failed DC from cmd and check log
      Code:
      dcdiag
      I guess this server have TCP/IP misconfiguration or hardware connectivity issue
      With best regards, Victor

Comment

Thanx guyz for the response, but the problem is resolved. Wanted to share the solution with you guyz:

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that though the server was connected to the internet, I was not able to browse through any sites. When I try to open IE and browse through any site it would show me a page not found error.

I was under the impression that because I was not able to open AD on the server, the internet wan't working properly, but it was the other way round. Because there was a problem with the internet connection on the server, I was not able to open AD, and the problem with the internet connection was because of Virtual Memory. The server had enough space on both the hard disks, but for some reason VM was reporting with a no storage space error in the Event logs.

When we changed the VM settings to use E:\ (the 2nd HDD) instead of C:\, the internet started working and I could successfully open AD.

Anywayz, I Thank you again for your time and advice.

- Ashok

Comment

Thanks for sharing your solution
          Rep points given
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Guyz,

The problem seems to resurface again and again. So as in my previous post, I am sure that because my internet connection is not working correctly, my Active Directory doesn't seem to be functioning correctly.

I thought that the problem with the internet connection not working was because of Virtual Memory. The reason why I thought so was because when I looked into the event logs for errors, the logs showed me the following error:

" Event_ID: 1053
            Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. ). Group policy processing aborted. "

But then I soon realised that it has nothing to do with Virtual memory, but just a restart of the system would get the internet up again on the server and every thing works just fine.

But again in a couple of days, the internet stops working on the server (so I can't access the web at all) and all the problems are resurfaced again and the event logs again show the same error as mentioned above.

I am not sure on what is causing this to happen. Could you suggest me on what I should do?

- Ashok

Comment

Working...
            X