Security Groups and GPO help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Groups and GPO help

Im new to active directory and just learning.

I want to create security groups to install applications for certain users.

I have a security group (adobe_8_1) within an OU (applications).

I then added a user to the adobe_8_1 group. Next i created and linked a GPO to the appications OU and set the security filtering as the Adobe_8_1 group.

This didnt seem to work.

As soon as i linked the GPO to the Users OU it worked.

Am i going the wrong way about it? Should i be doing this completely different.
    I want to do something similar for Network Folders aswell.

Thanks for any help

Jason

Re: Security Groups and GPO help

Do you have any users in the Application OU?

Group Policy's can either be applies to computers or users. If you have an OU called users and then link a Group Policy to it where you have made changes to the users section of the policy, all users in that OU will pick up that policy. If you made changes to the computers section then no one will pick up the polocy unless their computer is a member of that OU.

If you move the users to the Application OU you should find that it would work, but you will lose all GP applied to the Users OU.

Hope this makes sense

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

No we dont have the users in the Applications OU. Yes i think i understand.

Does this mean that as a good practice i should maybe link all GPO's to the Users container and set the security filter as the security group?

thanks for the reply

regards

jason

Comment

Yes - Correct.

But, you cannot assign GPO's to containers i.e. users and computer. You need to create an OU and move the users from the container to the OU.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          Yes - Correct.

But, you cannot assign GPO's to containers i.e. users and computer. You need to create an OU and move the users from the container to the OU.

Michael
          Great thanks for the help,

Would i do a similar thing for allowing user access to network folders.

Comment

To allow user access to network resources I would create two security groups. One Domain Local and one Domain Global. Add the users to the domain global group and add the global group to the local group. Then assign the required permissions to the Domain Local group on the resource.

So it goes:

Users into Global group. Global group into Domain local group. Domain Local assinged permissions on resource.

Hope this makes sense

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X