No announcement yet.

Trust error

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust error

I am trying to establish trust connection between DC of windows 2000 with DC of Win 2003. I have ping between them, and they are in a different lan. What I shuld do , step by step, to make this connection?
    When I am trying it now from the win 2003 I cannot over the screen where I should type the netbios or DNS name. The wizard tell me that the name is not a valid windows domain name and then ask me to choose between realm trust or windows. When I choose Trust with windows domain, I can not over it and the next screen finish it with faild.
    From the win 2000 the wizard tell me that he could not recognized it as a windows domain.
    The only problem I have in the network is that the root server of the win2000 AD is dead, but I have no problems with trust relationship that I already have with NT 4.0.
    I configure both servers in both Root Hints

Looks like there is a reason for me not liking Hebrew technical forums: I was not able to figure out your network layout there

Anyway, first thing to do is to make sure you have stable environment. What do you mean by "root server is dead" ? Do you meant that the first DC in 2000 AD is dead ? Are there other DCs ?

As for the trust: the easiest way is to configure DNS so slave the zone of the other forest.
    In 2000 AD configure a new secondary zone with the name of 2003 AD.
    Do the same on the 2003 side.
    (you might need to enable zone transfers)

After the zones have replicated, you should be able to establish the trust.

The other solution would be pointing the DCs from foth forests to the same WINS infrastructure or doing ugly hacks in LMHOSTS file on both sides.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Another one

Hi guy.

Thanks for your response and it helped me. The trust establishment went O.K.
      I have another important Question:

After I will finish to install and configure everything’s I should change the IP Address of that 2003 DC. Am I going to face with problems with the trust and DNS and etc?
      I have to do that, so, what I should do that all the services will work O.K?

Thanks again

The change is within the same subnet or are you moving the DC to new subnet ?
        Guy Teverovsky

It is the same subnet. Onle the X is going to change: 192.168.1.X

Am I have to change the IP in the DNS and Wins and in the trust and that it?

Thanks a lot

This is probably also a DNS server, so you might need to update DHCP server to handle new IP to the clients.
            Client with static ip settings will need to be adjusted too.

The DC should be able to register the new IP dynamically in the DNS (given that you have DDNS enabled).

WINS: just delete the old record. The DC will register itself with the new IP.

Also check the DNS servers in which you configured the zone transfers (you might need to adjust those too)

Overall this should not be a big issue if you plan it correctly.
            Guy Teverovsky

OK Thank you