Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another home folder question

Hi,

I've been trying and searching all the evening for a solution.
    I'll explain my problem.

When I create a new user and a home folder the \\server\share\%username% way, it adds full control to the administrator and the user himself.

What I want to do is, give full control only to the user, not the admin nor anybody else.

I know I've been able to do that in the past. Now I can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you.

Re: Another home folder question

Check where the folder is inheriting it's permissions from. You should also set the User permissions to Modify and NOT Full Control. If they have Full Control then they can change folder permissions. Modify will enable the user to do anything they like to their own files and folder, just not change the folder permissions.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Administrator have full control to c:\users.
      Share name is "users$"

When I create a user via Active Directory console, I add \\server\users$\%username% as the home folder (profile tab).

It adds full control to the user and administrator.

Comment

Even if we set the proper NTFS permission on the top level folder (Users), the previously mentioned method will add the Administrators security local group with Full control permission.
        As a workaround:
        1. Create the home folder manually with proper NTFS permission;
        2. Instruct the users how to remove the Administrators group from ACL of their home folder;
        3. Use third party user management tool (Hyena, User management resource Admin from Tools4ever)
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Is folder redirection an option?
          Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by wiredteknologies View Post
            Is folder redirection an option?
            Just to expand a little on that one - when you redirect the "My Documents" folder you can specify, I think in the advanced tab, that you wish to "grant the user exclusive rights to the folder".
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

yes that is one of the options. and in my opinion folder redirection is better then home folders, primarily for ease of use from the user standpoint. they dont have to open their home directory to save items, they can just use the my documents which most office applications default to the my docs folder.
              Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X