Migrating NT4.0 domain to Win2003 Intermin mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating NT4.0 domain to Win2003 Intermin mode

Currently have NT4.0 PDC fileserver with NT4.0 Exchange 5.5 server serving as a BDC. Will be putting in a new NT2003 server to replace PDC as fileserver. Looks like I need to stay in interim mode to keep Exchange 5.5 running. Not sure if I can do in place upgrade of box that will be running NT2003 due to built-in serial ata raid controller on IBM 206. What would be best bet if I can't make 2003 server nt4.0 pdc first before upgrading to 2003? Would it make any sence to use old box that
    would support both nt40 & 2003, temporarily install NT4.0 as BDC, promote it to PDC, upgrade it to 2003, then somehow move the PDC designation to the good 2003 server with SATA drives? If so, how could that last step be done?
    Would there be any better alternatives?
    Looks like you need to run native 2003 in order to use ADMT upgrade tool or am I missing something. If I am able to install nt4.0 on box, how can you change partition size from 4gb when the upgrade occurs? Microsoft instructions talk about editing a file on a cd-rom but don't know how to do that.

Just an idea: why not install W2K3 as a new domain and use ADMT to migrate the accounts from old NT domain ?
    E5.5 will be an issue here though... Are you planning to upgrade Exchange in the near future ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by Guy (Antid0t)
      Just an idea: why not install W2K3 as a new domain and use ADMT to migrate the accounts from old NT domain ?
      E5.5 will be an issue here though... Are you planning to upgrade Exchange in the near future ?
      No funds for Exchange 2003 upgrade now, unless server just craps out. Heard that inplace upgrade was the way to go for 2003 upgrade. Thought that ADMT will only work in native 2003 mode. We will be intrim mode since Exchange 5.5 server is BDC.
      If we did try to migrate to 2003 that way, use a new domain and bring accounts over one way or another, wouldn't we have some problems with our Exchange users during the migration since Exchange is 4.0 BDC?

Comment

Working...
      X