No announcement yet.

dns query

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dns query

dear all, honest this is not a double post, but i have been having some exchange issues, and i wondered to make sure that my dns is working, can i just delete all the lookup records both forwards and backwards and let it populate again, as i noticed a couple that were more than 7 days old that can't be right (same hostname) and wondered if that would be causing an issue with the exchange server?

i would say though that i have no login or drive mapping issues, and even the exchange server can ping and connect to the dns server.

my dns server is a 2000 box, and is running as one of 3 dc's in a mixed mode domain.

i wondered if anyone could tell me is it that simple to get it to repopulate?

Re: dns query

dear all, thanks for any info you post, the issue is resolved but i wonder still if i can force dns to repopulate the way i have asked.

Have you set upo aging/scavenging on the Zones? You can also manually force a scavenge cycle which may get rid of these stale records.

As long as you re-register the server after deleting the records then they shoudl re-appear as you say...
      MCSA/MCSE 2000
      MCSA/MCSE 2003

I love pies.

hi, yes i have scavenging set up, thats why i was a bit perplexed as to why i had these records that should not have been there. i will try forcing a scavenge as you suggest and take it from there.

thanks for the info.