Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Zones and DNS SOA records

Hi All,

I am currently in a Microsoft Course looking at Active Directory zones in DNS....

My question, and one that seems to be confusing everyone is:

With an Active Directory intergrated DNS zone, hosted on multiple Domain Controllers, should there be a 'Single' authoritative Server or Multiple.

basically, each of my DC's has an SOA record for the Zone that states itself as the Primary name server for that zone. Now i think this is correct, it gives fault tolerance etc.

Others think there should be only one Primary name server, and that the SOA record on each server should point to THAT server.

Anyone have any thoughts (or access to an AD zone to check!)

It previous installs, say with 5 DC's all hosting an AD Zone, i have seen that each DC has an SOA record with itself as the Primary.

Now, with STANDARD zones, it makes sense that you only have one primary, but i thought AD zones removed this weak link....

Any info on the subject would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Jonathan
    MCSA/MCSE 2000
    MCSA/MCSE 2003
    CCNA

I love pies.

Re: AD Zones and DNS SOA records

It is correct that with AD integrated zones hosted on DC's that each DC will have an SOA that points to itself, so you will have multiple SOA records for the zone.

Comment

Re: AD Zones and DNS SOA records

Many thanks,

I was sure that was the case, but the class (and the trainer!) went against me!

A single Primary Server, which all other servers point to = no fault tolerance!

One more day left tomorrow, then off to take the MCSE2003 upgrades so i need to make sure i get everything straight in my head,

Thanks again

Jonboy
      MCSA/MCSE 2000
      MCSA/MCSE 2003
      CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Working...
      X