Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot remove pc's from AD using dsquery to pipe to dsrm

When I use dsquery and pipe it to dsrm I keep getting this error:

C:\>dsquery computer OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU=xxxxxxx,DC=xxxxxxx,DC =xxx -inactive 26 | dsrm -c
    Are you sure you wish to delete CN=xxxxxxx,OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU=xxxxxxx,DC =xxxxxxx,DC=xxx (Y/N)? dsrm failed:CN=xxxxxxx,OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU=xxx xxxx,DC=xxxxxxx,DC=xxx:The handle is invalid.

but I can run this successfully:

C:\>dsrm -c "CN=xxxxxxx,OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU=xxxxxxx,D C=xxxxxxx,DC=xxx"
    Are you sure you wish to delete CN=xxxxxxx,OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU=xxxxxxx,DC =xxxxxxx,DC=xxx (Y/N)? y
    dsrm succeeded:CN=xxxxxxx,OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU= xxxxxxx,DC=xxxxxxx,DC=xxx

The query results in 187 inactive pc's when I set the limit to 200. I don't want to have to manually delete each one. If any one can shed some light on why I get the "The handle is invalid" error it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Cannot remove pc's from AD using dsquery to pipe to dsrm

take a look at this post

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11221

this explains how to get this to work.
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks Wired,
      I had read that post but did not understand the solution. I don't know anything about scripts. In Guyt's post he writes "Here is a workaround with an example:".

I see the example but do not understand the workaround.

Comment

what you would do for your situation is this

for /f %i in ('dsquery computer OU=Computers,OU=Marketing,OU=xxxxxxx,DC=xxxxxxx,DC =xxx -inactive 26') do @dsrm %i -c

what this is doing is saying for every output from dsquery command do dsrm -c

you can either type that in manually or add it to a batch file
        Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
        X