AD Replications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Replications

How soon does changes get replicated to all AD servers? Is there some list that I can look at on what changes gets replicated immediately and what changes takes time?

What are the tools I can use to find out of replication has happened? Can we change on how frequent a certain replication can happen? Can this be forced?

Thanks in Advance

Re: AD Replications

when you make a change to AD, there is a delay before the notification for replication is sent to other DCs. this help to prevent constant replication.

the default is 300 seconds (5 minutes for lamers) but this can be changed if necessary, but it is best to leave this alone.

When a change is made, AD doesnt send the replication notification to all the DCs, only its first replication partner. after the first notification is sent, the DC waits for another 30 seconds and then contacts the next replication partner and so forth... its called the 'replicator notify pause between DSAs'

in addition to your standard replication parameters, there is also KCC (knowledge consistency checker) running. it manages connection objects. its default is to run every 15 minutes.

i hope that answers what you were asking.

and how can you manage the replication periods? well, you can modify the reg parms, but that isnt advised. its best to leave that alone. what you can do is learn to use the AD Sites and Services mmc. from here, you will be able to see all replication partners. when you open it, the DC you are connected to is listed in the left hand top beside the domain name...

what you want to do is make the changes to AD on the FSMO DC, then open the S&S MMC and find the other DCs that you didnt make changes to. when you force a replication, its a push/pull kinda thing. you want the unchanged DC to pull the replication info from the updated member server and so on...
    Last edited by James Haynes; 20th August 2007, 20:42.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Bassicly 5 minites after an object has been changed.
      You can use replmon to check replication traffic, but there are other tools available.
      You can manually enforce replication by opening your ntds settings in sites and services mmc. There you see the connection object of your DC, rightclick it. Choose all tasks - Replicate now.

To late lol
      Last edited by Killerbe; 20th August 2007, 20:48.
      [Powershell]
      Start-DayDream
      Set-Location Malibu Beach
      Get-Drink
      Lay-Back
      Start-Sleep
      Wake-Up!
      Resume-Service
      Write-Warning
      [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Who decides which AD authenticates a certain user when they log on?

If I make a password change on 1 AD? How much time does that take to take effect on all AD's? Can I force it to make it sooner?

Comment

Originally posted by yalgaar View Post
          Who decides which AD authenticates a certain user when they log on?
          i think its the least busy DC factored in with the lowest cost... but you have to take topology into consideration. i habe a DC at one of my remote sites, but i dont like people here writing to a DC 30 miles away, so there are routes in place to prevent that.

Originally posted by yalgaar View Post
          If I make a password change on 1 AD? How much time does that take to take effect on all AD's? Can I force it to make it sooner?
          did you read the above two posts? i told you how with a picture, even... and so did killerbe. go to sites and services MMC and right-click on the ntds settings on the server you want to replicate to... 'replicate now', capeche?
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
          X