Unable to add a security group to a group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to add a security group to a group

I have just setup a brand new single server (Win 2003R2 Server Std) with 40 client XP machines, and added the role from the Manage Your Server wizard to promote it to a domain controller, as usual. Everything works perfectly, except that I cannot add a security group to another security group. When I try to do so, the list of objects I am given contains only user accounts.

So in ADUC I highlight a Security Group, right click and go Properties > Members > Add > Advanced > Find Now

I verify that "Users or Other Objects" is showing at the top (which is the default, I didn't change anything) and yet there are only users in the list, whereas it should show both user accounts and security groups.

So, rather than go to Advanced > Find Now, I try typing the name of the security group that I wish to add and I click the Check Names button, but the security group I just typed cannot be found. How can I fix AD so that I can add a security group to another security group?

Oh, and if it makes any difference, these are "Global Security Groups".

Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Unable to add a security group to a group

when you select object types, you should see users, computers, contacts, security groups and other objects, did you check the groups check box before searching ?

Comment

Hi Doc,

The checkboxes are:
      • Other Objects
      • Computers
      • Users
      • Contacts

Usually, I do not have to alter the ticks there - by default, "Users" and "Other Objects" are checked. Anyway, checking them all makes no difference. I do not see "Security Groups" in the list of checkboxes of object types. Hmmmm...
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

you are running under windows 2000 mixed mode domain functional level, raise it to at least 2000 native in order to nest groups in that global group

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Regards

Comment

OK, that's a brilliant answer, thanks.

So how can that happen when I take a perfectly ordinary standard installation of Server 2003R2 and make it a domain controller by using the "Add Role" wizard? Accepting the wizard's default options, doing nothing "clever", and I end up with a DC that's running 2000 mixed mode. I don't understand how that can happen.

(Oh, for others viewing this thread, I'm going to use http://www.petri.com/raise_domain_fu...ndows_2003.htm ... which I have now done and it does the trick.)
          Last edited by PaulH; 11th August 2007, 18:32.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Working...
          X