No announcement yet.

Remote Control

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Control

Can someone give me some more information on remote control? Is it used so that you can assist users who are having computer trouble or is it something that is supposed to be deceptive?

How does the whole process work - does a user send a request to your computer or can you just login whenever you want (is this a security issue)?

Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Remote Control

Remote Assistance is where the user allows you to connect to their computer. (Users initiates for you to connect)
    Remote Desktop allows local access through a remote connection. (You connect when you want)

The Help and Support (WinXP) can better describe what each does.

You can find both when you look under the Remote tab in System properties.

You can configure Remote Desktop (what I think you'd prefer) to allow only certain users to access the computer.

Check this article out to start you up:

Re: Remote Control

Remote Control can be used for many things; one use is like you said to assist users (Remote Assistance) - with this method both remote and local users can see the screen on the machine being controlled but the local user has to give their permission for viewing OR control to take place.

Remote Desktop is used to remotely control a machine without any input from the physical machine's user. For instance it could be used to remotely administer a workstation for installation of software etc; however any locally logged on user will be locked out of the machine while this takes place. It is also extremely useful for controlling servers in remote or inaccessible locations; with Windows Server 2003 you get one session which is physically connected to the console, just like to a workstation (it locks the local desktop when in use) and two other sessions which are "Virtual Desktops" which are separate from each other and from the console. With Windows 2000 Server you only get the two virtual desktop sessions - no console session is available.

Other software (and indeed hardware) is available which will allow you to control the server as if you are physically sat at the machine; the local desktop doesn't lock, it mimics every action taken by the remote user. In the case of hardware solutions, it's also possible to reboot the server and observe the text-mode portions of the reboot... as well as physically switch the power on and off to the machine. All extremely useful to network administrators such as myself.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you