Gain Access to Users' Docs & Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain Access to Users' Docs & Files

Is there a way as the administrator of the server/network that I can see users' files (My documents, etc) thru the server station? Can I maybe login under their name without affecting their system while they're at work?

Re: Gain Access to Users' Docs & Files

As the administrator you would probably be able to gain access using your own user name and password (it would be illegal to use anyone else's details in most countries)... but why would you want to? It would constitute a serious breach of privacy and trust by an IT professional and is not the sort of thing that an Admin would do if he wanted to keep his job - unless there were legal reasons for him doing so and/or he was asked to by his employer.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Yes, there is a legal situation. I have been told to do this (not my decision). I would rather not sit down at the local user's station and do this.

I cannot see their user profile (lets call it JOHN) when I go to C:/Documents & Settings on my local computer or on the server. I can see it on other user's computers though (these users are not admins), yet access is denied to JOHN's Docs & Settings from the other user's machines.

I am using an administrator acct on my local computer.

How should I take care of this?

Comment

You will need to follow certain guidelines if you are trying to gather information that will be used to either terminate or press criminal charges against the user. The best thing to do is to get a duplicate of their hard drive. A bootable cd that has Knoppix is good to have to do the dd copy (can take some time depending on size of hdd). Make sure you have the users hdd as a slave on another machine. Once you make a copy, then you should lock it up where only a few people can gain access. Do the necessary work on the copied hdd and gather the evidence. Have your HR involved with this, as they can come back and sue you for unlawful termination.

Hope this helps. Sticky situation, but one that you need to be clear on. Although the computer is the property of the company, getting a duplicate of the hdd will show that you did not tamper with the computer to 'frame' them. The evidence you pull from the duplicate will be admissible in court.

Check out forensic or incidence response groups for more information.

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Isn't there just a way to gain access to their My Documents folder? [Documents & Settings/USERNAME.]

This must sit on the server somewhere...the admins must have control of it somehow.

Please advise....

Comment

I could be mistaken, but My Documents is local to the computer profile (unless they have a roaming profile), while their user folder is on the network (ex. \\domain\user\bodiddley).

If wrong, don't mind being corrected. I will chalk it up to experience!

Comment

If you don't know how to do this then I would (bearing in mind the sensitivity of these actions) advise you to ask for expert help who does know what to do... however here's a quick run-down of what you need to do (Gods help me for doing this...):
              1. Log in to your machine with credentials which have either domain admin or at least global workstation admin rights.
              2. "Map a drive" to the remote workstation's "C:" drive ( \\machine_name\c$ )
              3. browse the new drive to find \Documents and Settings\UserName\ and in there you should see their profile

Inside their profile is generally (in a default setup) where you will find their desktop, and their "My Documents" folder. HOWEVER in many organisations, "My Documents" is directed to a network folder on a server, and their profile is directed elsewhere. If this is the case, you would then definitely need assistance from the experts who manage the network (I'm assuming that because you don't know how to do this that you don't manage the network).

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Also, if this info is being collected for a criminal prosecution, then you opening the file will destroy the evidence of that person being the last one to open that file. As mentioned above, clone the drive (there is some forensic software available to do this correctly but at the price isn't cheap) and then work on the clone. Keep the original untouched. If it is for criminal proceeding, get in a professional who does this and do not attempt it yourself.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X