No announcement yet.

Deligating a user with reset password credentials

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deligating a user with reset password credentials

Hi all,
    I was assigned with a task to delegate a cretin user in the AD to credentials to reset passwords and unlock accounts of other user, which group should I add this user too?

And in addition, is there anyway I can give the user credentials to access any folder on the domain without giving him Domain Admin administrative rights?

Thanks to all.

Re: Deligating a user with reset password credentials

1. That user is your customer, not a "cretin". Show him some respect because without him you don't have a job.

2. To delegate authority to reset passwords, put all the users whose passwords he should be able to reset into a single OU, right-click the OU and run the Delegation of Authority Wizard.

3. Create a group called something sensible like "Full File Access" and grant it "Full Control" permission over all volumes; this will propagate to folders, subfolders and files. Be aware that if inheritance is blocked anywhere that these permissions will not propagate - so good records of where inheritance is blocked are essential.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

thanks, ill give it a try, and btw, that user is a certin user, not a customer, its a test user for a project nothing more.

I think we have some confusion here:

jj516, in your original post, did you mean a "certain" user, as in one particular user and not everyone?

"cretin" has a very different meaning, generally applied to people of very limited intelligence. It is the sort of thing that SysAdmins DO sometimes say about users, after a bad day, but very quietly and not in a public environment!

Now lets get back on topic -- follow Stonelaughters advice about the delegation wizard and you should have no problems

Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

the delegation wizard option certainly works but if you want to narrow down the permissions further:

You can also create a group "Unlock and Reset Accounts"
          Go to the properties of the OU - security - advanced tab

Add in the group and edit it. here you can select more granular permissions.

On the object tab - apply to 'user objects' and theres one in there to reset passwords. The one to unlock accounts is on the 'properties' tab and I think its called "write lockout time"

google will give you the exact permissions.

Thank you all for your replays, i'm sorry it took me forever to answer, i was away on vacation, both methods worked. and regarding Ossian - i ment certain, sorry, it was a misstype by me.