DNS & DHCP: DNS Update Failed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS & DHCP: DNS Update Failed

I just configured DHCP on my domain. Going through the DHCP log, i am getting the error DNS Update Failed. Is there a more detailed error somewhere about why? I setup a user for dynamic dns updates, and added it to the dnsupdateproxy group.

Re: DNS & DHCP: DNS Update Failed

Nevermind, it looks like it was a permission issue on my reverse dns zone

Comment

Well done on discovering what was causing the errors and thanks for posting back with why this was happening. It is appreciated!!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

whats the best way to prevent people from grabbing two ips? Right now all the laptops with wired and wireless are snagging two

Comment

shorten the leasetime?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by ntwaddell View Post
            whats the best way to prevent people from grabbing two ips? Right now all the laptops with wired and wireless are snagging two
            Disable DHCP on the network card which should not be in use? Or even disable the network card which should not be in use...

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

What about making two profiles, with one set for wired and the other wireless? Disable the other card that is not right for that profile. Then only one nic will be able to grab an IP.

Of course, it depends if the powers that be let you configure multiple profiles. Here, they don't like to think and have to select if they are connected to the network or not.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fl1 View Post
                What about making two profiles, with one set for wired and the other wireless? Disable the other card that is not right for that profile. Then only one nic will be able to grab an IP.

Of course, it depends if the powers that be let you configure multiple profiles. Here, they don't like to think and have to select if they are connected to the network or not.
                bingo! same here haha

Comment

This is all about user training i'm afraid.

Tell them that they MUST disable the wireless NIC when in house.

Comment

Two things
                    users shouldnt be allowed to change proxy server , so they cannot use laptops at home for internet.
                    stick a script at shutdown to release Ip address.
                    we get this problem when user walks from one floor to other with different subnet and their wireless fails to update IP address ,
                    I cant think o any solution apart from user training.

Regards
                    zulifqar

Comment

Working...
                    X