Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental Deletion of OU - Restore?

Morning all!

I'm currently stuck in a bad situation ... Yesterday morning I was deleting an obsolete user from our 'Staff' organizational unit. I was unaware that I must have highlighted or accidentally clicked on the OU folder itself, which after a couple of quick hits of the enter key, was deleted!

On the upside I work in a school and it is the summer holidays - No one is affected - However I have lost approximately 200 people's accounts, which has also affected the Active Directory on our Exchange, so no e-mails either! Therefore I'm a bit worried!

I've been looking through a wealth of information on the net ... I tried using a program called LDP, which flags up the tombstone entries, but I couldn't seem to restore the accounts from their instructions.

I have also tried restoring the system state from a file backup on C:\ following instructions from here: http://www.msd2d.com/newsletter_tip....9-963b854daa25

I then followed their instructions by opening command prompt and typing in:

"ntdsutil
    authoritative restore
    restore subtree <path>
    OK (Authoritative Restore Confirmation Dialog)
    quit
    quit"

No luck so far! Can anyone else give any ideas or point out something that I might be doing incorrect? If so, believe me, it would be much appreciated! I'll owe you several beers!

Thanks!

Kris

Re: Accidental Deletion of OU - Restore?

No backups?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No backups ... If there is a way of restoring the OU on a user by user basis, then I am more than happy to do that, no matter how long it takes!

Also, if I try adding new users to rebuild the OU from the beginning, any changes do not seem to be replicated on the Active Directory on our Exchange server - Is there a way I can force the replication?

Comment

Shadow Copy?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

How does that work? Could you explain please?

Comment

I'm half way there! The 'Staff' OU has returned on our PDC, but it has not replicated on our Exchange server. Is there a way I can force replication?

Comment

Shadow Copies - http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...=shadow+copies

If shadow copy had been setup the appropriate files could have been recovered through it.

PDC <insert another loud scream> 'sigh'.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Shadow Copy?
                as far as i know the shadow copy is for shared folders, and the new DPM v2 Beta2 can shadow copy the SQL and Exchange but not a domain controllers, the DC shares are SYSVOL and NETLOGON that hold GPOs and scripts , how you can restore anything from it ? or you mean shadow copy the NTDS.DirectoryInformationTree File ?

@Anonimouse

you always can force replication by dssite.msc and replicate now, more advanced one is to do it with replmon.exe from the support tools

to restore active directory deleted objects that is marked as phantom objects or tombstoned objects you will use the ldp.exe tool and follow the KB from microsoft and after a long advanced way you may return it or not

after all and researches, the easiest way to do so is to use this tool from Quest
                Object Restore for Active Directory
                http://www.quest.com/object-restore-...ive-directory/

register and download it
                i'm one of the Quest testers in my country, please tell me if that doesn't work for you

Note: the password attribute is one of the things that never be tombostoned, so when you restore whatever deleted, you will have to reset its password and enable it

Cheers

Comment

That's one of the nice things about Server 2008. There will be shadow copy support for AD.

Anyways, try Sysinternals AdRestore. I haven't used it before, but it might work for you.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...AdRestore.mspx

Comment

Working...
                  X