Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems updating Password Policy - Advanced Server 2000 Active Directory

Hi all,
    I currently run an Advanced Server 2000 Active Directory network. I recently increased the minimum password length. However, it is not updating the users password requirements when they attempt to change their password. It gives the old password requirements. I changed the Domain Security Policy and the Group policies. I changed other options, such as creating a Welcome screen at startup and it changed fine. The only options that are not updating are the Password Policies. Recently, we ran the AdPrep Utility because we are going to upgrade our Network to Windows 2003 Active directory and add new Domain controllers. I'm not sure if this caused the issue. Please help.

Re: Problems updating Password Policy - Advanced Server 2000 Active Directory

Originally posted by Battousai View Post
    I changed the Domain Security Policy and the Group policies.
    Are these GPOs that are linked to the domain?
    I would make the changes in the Default Domain Policy.

Note that Password Policy settings need to be applied at the Domain level. Applying it to an OU or site will have no affect on domain accounts.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      Are these GPOs that are linked to the domain?
      I would make the changes in the Default Domain Policy.

Note that Password Policy settings need to be applied at the Domain level. Applying it to an OU or site will have no affect on domain accounts.
      I did make the changes in the Domain Security Policy. I changed it in the GPO too. But, it still does not enforce the new password length. I'm at a lost as to what else we need to change in order for the account policies to apply. What else can I look at?

On a side note, the local security policies on the computers have adopted the new password length values.

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Comment

There's no need to configure the Domain Security Policy. Have a read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221930

Run gpresult on a DC to see if the proper policy is being applied.

Post the results here if you need another eye on it.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X