Rename a single-label domain with Exchange in it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename a single-label domain with Exchange in it

I'm about to perform a domain rename with RENDOM. The client has a single label domain name (mydom instead of mydom.com) and that's the main reason for the domain rename request.

He's got 2 DCs running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, one of them's running Exchange 2003.

The AD is in Win 2003 function level, domain AND forest.

Things I've done so far
    1. I've installed an additional DC, replica = OK
    2. I've installed a TEMPEX server, installed Exchange 2003 + SP2, moved MBXs, replicated PFs and System PFs, changed everything. Waited a few days for the clients ro re-home = OK
    3. I've uninstalled the OLD Exchange, then removed it from the domain = OK
    4. I've formatted the OLD Exchange, installed Windows Server 2003, called it NEWEX, installed Exchange 2003 + SP2 = OK
    5. I've moved MBXs back from TEMPEX to the NEWEX, replicated PFs and System PFs, changed everything. Waited a few days for the clients ro re-home = OK
    6. I've uninstalled the TEMPEX, then removed it from the domain = OK

Now I have 2 DCs (none are Exchange) + one Exchange, and I need to perform the actual RENDOM.

My question is

Do you have any tips, insights, warnings, anything I should be aware of before running RENDOM or afterwards?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Rename a single-label domain with Exchange in it

Make sure the clients are logged off before you start.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

everything seems to be alright, i have some notes that you may aware of but um double confirming

1- EX must be at least with SP1 and i recommend SP2
      2- don't forget to install exchange fixup utility for rename domain http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
      and to copy the domainlist.xml & domainlistold.xml to the installation folder.
      and fix the exchange using he following commands
      Code:
      XDR-fixup /s:DOMAINLISTOLD.XML /e:DOMAINLIST.XML  /trace:TRACEFILE /changes:CHANGESCRIPT.LDF /restore:RESTORESCRIPT.LDF
      3- Restart Exchange TWICE after the fixup utility use
      4- fix the gpos by gpfixup

well, i know you may know all of that, but consider that as a reminder and everything will be fine then, i did that almos a thousand time

good luck

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I have exactly same situation like you, i would appreciate if you could let me know how did it go for you??? any issues while renaming Single Label Domain Name ??

Thanking you in anticipation,

JS

Comment

The following hot-fix might be needed as we needed it in our cae....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914429

Thanks,
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

I am running Windows 2003 R2 with SP2, so patch is not required for us.

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I have exactly same situation like you, i would appreciate if you could let me know how did it go for you??? any issues while renaming Single Label Domain Name ??

Thanking you in anticipation,

JS

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              I'm about to perform a domain rename with RENDOM. The client has a single label domain name (mydom instead of mydom.com) and that's the main reason for the domain rename request.

He's got 2 DCs running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, one of them's running Exchange 2003.

The AD is in Win 2003 function level, domain AND forest.

Things I've done so far
              1. I've installed an additional DC, replica = OK
              2. I've installed a TEMPEX server, installed Exchange 2003 + SP2, moved MBXs, replicated PFs and System PFs, changed everything. Waited a few days for the clients ro re-home = OK
              3. I've uninstalled the OLD Exchange, then removed it from the domain = OK
              4. I've formatted the OLD Exchange, installed Windows Server 2003, called it NEWEX, installed Exchange 2003 + SP2 = OK
              5. I've moved MBXs back from TEMPEX to the NEWEX, replicated PFs and System PFs, changed everything. Waited a few days for the clients ro re-home = OK
              6. I've uninstalled the TEMPEX, then removed it from the domain = OK

Now I have 2 DCs (none are Exchange) + one Exchange, and I need to perform the actual RENDOM.

My question is

Do you have any tips, insights, warnings, anything I should be aware of before running RENDOM or afterwards?

Comment

Working...
              X