No announcement yet.

Group policy problem in windows XP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group policy problem in windows XP

hi guys, i just received a company laptop with active directory on it and a few restrictions. i was able to create a separate Windows account with Administrator rights on the LOCAL machine, not on AD.

as an admin, i should be able to do anything i like. however, it wont let me change the password policy in Group Policy (gpedit.msc). Can someone tell me how I can get rid of the restricted parts in Group Policy ?

Many thanks !!

Re: Group policy problem in windows XP

No, we cannot.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

If I may expand a little on Stonelaughter's correct response:

This is a company laptop. Please respect the fact that it is Company property, and so you should not try to break into it in any way. In this forum, we don't help in matters such as this, because we will not aid in the breaching of company policy. The laptop belongs to the company, and so every thing on it is not yours to do with as you wish.

I hope this explains why you shouldn't even try it.

Best wishes.
      Best wishes,
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

you could take the laptop to work with you and submit a helpdesk ticket to your domain admin and see if he will adjust the policy on the company's laptop.

as a domain admin, i would think not. the password resrtictions are there for a reason and protect the domain from a multitude of possible threats.

by allowing domain computers to leave the building, you run the possibility of exposing domain information to the public in a manner if ways, including theft. the password policy adds another line of defense to the domain.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...