Connecting two servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two servers

I am a little confused on how to connect my two server in Active Directory, if that is where they need to be connected. I have already connected the two servers, I think:

I right-click <my computer>.
    change the computer name and the domain member to acme.com.
    This seemed to connect the two servers.
    Does this action connect the two servers

If I make the second server a replicated Domain Controller, will that connect the two servers.

Again, I am confused on how to connect two servers in a network. Any information or a point in the right direction would help.

I am a little confused on how to connect my two server in Active Directory, if that is where they need to be connected. I have already connected the two servers, I think:

I right-click <my computer>.
    change the computer name and the domain member to acme.com.
    This seemed to connect the two servers.
    Does this action connect the two servers

If I make the second server a replicated Domain Controller, will that connect the two servers.

Again, I am confused on how to connect two servers in a network. Any information or a point in the right direction would help.

Originally posted by sorins
    I am confused too
    How many servers do you have in your network?
    Does the acme.com domain already exist?
    Do you have credentials of a user that have permission to add computers to the domain?
    Originally posted by m80arm
    Hi,

In order to "connet" two computer togeather they needs to have different ip addresses in the same subnet i.e.

Server 1 IP address - 192.168.0.10
    Server 1 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Server 2 IP address - 192.168.0.11
    Server 2 IP address - 255.255.255.0

Once your servers are configured like this and each servers network card is connected to a hub / router (Or via a cross over cable) you should be able to ping each IP address from the other
    Your servers are now officially "connected to each other"

What you have done there is configured a member server to join a domain. If you want your other server to be a domain controller for redundancy then run DCpromo and you DC will replicate with your other DC and provide redundacy (Just make sure you also make it a Global Catalogue - if you search for this you should find out how to do it)

Hope this cleared things up

Michael
    Originally posted by stonelaughter
    Joe - I'll ask you again - is this a live, production network? Or are you practicing?

You seem to have a certain amount of basic knowledge missing to be carrying out these tasks and I would not advise you to proceed until you understand how networking and PC operating systems work...
    Originally posted by m80arm
    Tut Tut - I've just noticed you have double posted! I thought I had already replied to this thread:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...4516#post74516

Thread reported to admins and closed.

Michael
    Last edited by biggles77; 12th July 2007, 13:07. Reason: Similar to a double post, merged and messed it up.

Re: Connecting two servers

Sorry but I messed up a thread merge. As a result we have the above mess and I seem to have lost one post by Tom (maybe it wasn't important), sorry Tom. (Not you Tom, the other Tom)

But, this is what can happen when members try to post about the same issue in TWO different Forums. If I had seen it first there would have been a 2 week ban!! Lucky for Joes4tune, M80arm has a kind heart and issued a warning infraction only.

Don't double post AGAIN. The rules are very clear on this.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When you say "connect" two servers are you talking about network connectivity between the two or are you looking to add a member server to an Active Directory domain or a secondary Domain controller? Please provide as much information as possible.
      Justin
      A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Originally posted by justinmirsky View Post
        When you say "connect" two servers are you talking about network connectivity between the two or are you looking to add a member server to an Active Directory domain or a secondary Domain controller? Please provide as much information as possible.
        I don't think Joes4Tune understands the terminology we're using to that depth.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Joe - I'll ask you again - is this a live, production network? Or are you practicing?

You seem to have a certain amount of basic knowledge missing to be carrying out these tasks and I would not advise you to proceed until you understand how networking and PC operating systems work...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Stonelaughter, because of your last statement on a post a week ago. I've up my knowledge on windows server 2003. I read through mastering windows server 2003. I'm doing this for my own company. It's my company. I didnt get hired on false pretenses.

I have two servers that I'm leasing from a hosting company. They seem to have a firewall on each server.

If you have the two servers networked together properly, should the member server register with the Active Directory? Is there something else that I have to do to the member server to allow it to communicate with Domain Controller?
            Last edited by joes4tune; 12th July 2007, 17:21.

Comment

You need to make sure that both the member server and the Domain Controller are on the same network. For example, the Domain controller has an IP address of 192.168.10.5 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the member server has an IP address of 192.168.10.6 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Also in order for your member server to be a member of the domain it must have it's DNS settings pointing to your Active Directory DNS server, which is most likely your Domain Controller unless you have a different server somewhere else.

Once you have the network properties of the Member server set to be on the same network and have the DNS pointed to the correct DNS server you should be able to open up your system properties (right click my computer, select properties), click the computer name tab, click the "change" button, then specify "member of" and then your domain name. Once you have done this click ok. You should receive a pop up box asking for a username and password with permission to join the domain. Enter in that information and click ok. This might take a few seconds. Click ok all the way out of your system properties and reboot to complete the changes.

That should get your member server onto the domain. If you need any further explanation let me know. If after a several attempts you are unable to get this up and running it may be time to call someone in and have them help you out. I am sure there is some sort of IT consulting company in your area. I hope this helps!
              Justin
              A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Sorry, I figured out the problem. The hosting company that I work with has a firewall on each server. The connected a crossover cable too the two servers. The two servers communicated over the crossover cable using private IP address. Is that going to cause a problem with Exchange Server?

An error with DCDiag was the problem that started these questions. When I run DCDiag on the second server, it works. When I run DCDiag, I have to use the Domain Controller, login name, and password arguments. Will Exchange Server have to use the same arguments or will get that information automatically?

Comment

Working...
                X