Problem w/New AD Domain and Local Admin Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem w/New AD Domain and Local Admin Rights

My company is in the process of moving from Novell to an AD domain. Every user was set up with full local administrator rights on their XP machines. Now when I add them to the new AD domain they are having issues unless I add each user to the local admins group. For example, the first person I tested adding to the AD domain could only open local documents as Read Only. When I added the user to the domain I copied the local profile to the domain profile. I also gave the domain user rights to the local profile. The only way everything worked smoothly was to add them to the local administrators group. I would prefer not to do that. Does anyone know how I can give users full control of their local profiles, which had full local admin rights, without having to add them to the local administrators group? Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Problem w/New AD Domain and Local Admin Rights

Logged in as a domain account with administrator rights on the PC, in Windows Explorer, right-click "C:\Documents and Settings\" and select "Properties". Choose the "Security" tab. Click "Add". Type "Authenticated Users" and click "OK". Choose "Full Control" in the lower pane of the window, and click "OK".

You will have to do this for each PC - or you will have to create a workstation "build" which will be used to standardise all PC's from now on, with this change already incorporated.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I will give that a shot. I appreciate the quick reply.

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by BryDwy View Post
        When I added the user to the domain I copied the local profile to the domain profile. I also gave the domain user rights to the local profile.
        What method did you use to copy the local profile to the domain profile? Did you do it through System Properties -> Advanced tab -> User Profiles and use the copy utility in there?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes. I copied the profile by using the User Profile section of the Advanced tab. I copied the local profile to the domain profile and clicked changes to give permission to the domain user.

Comment

Hmm, that should have assigned the proper permissions.

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            "Authenticated Users" and click "OK". Choose "Full Control"
            Tom, don't you think that's opening up the system too much? Doing it that way would give any user that logs on full control of any other user's profile.

There should be a way to script the assigning of permissions to the user that the profile is associated with...

What is your plan for deployment?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Giving full control to Autheticated Users for Documents and Settings did not work. When the user tries to open a PDF she gets access denied and word documets open up read only. I also tried going in to Documents and Settings-->Local User Account and giving full control to the domain user. Still I get the same errors.

Comment

Try assigning the user as the Owner and force replacement on the child files and folders.

If that doesn't work then try deleting the profile (through system properties), log on/off with the user, copy the original (local) profile to the newly created domain profile folder.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X